Find the answer to your Linux question:
Just ran across this Distro on Distro Watch and wonder what the terminal commands are like? Looks like they're using "urpmi" or something instead of "apt-get" so for those that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Mageia????

Just ran across this Distro on Distro Watch and wonder what the terminal commands are like? Looks like they're using "urpmi" or something instead of "apt-get" so for those that are using it can you translate my "apt-get" stuff over to Mageia terminal commands for me? I've searched for it on the web but can't really find anything. Thanks.

P.S.
    I did find this:
    https://wiki.mageia.org/en/URPMI
    but can't really make heads or tails of it.
    So, what do I do if I want to "update" or "upgrade" a package or what if I want to "install" something from the Repos??

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    urpmi is the installer so, apt-get install package == urpmi package and urpmi --update --auto-select == apt-get upgrade
    urpme is the remover so apt-get remove package == urpme package
    urpmq is the searcher so, urpmq something == apt-cache search something

Mageia is a very nice distro - even in it's KDE incarnation.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Hi, TNFrank.
    I've noticed that you usually ask about package management as you do your distro-hopping. So I thought that this page from DistroWatch might be of interest to you. It's a short cheat sheet on CLI package management for the major distros, and can be used in their respective derivatives.
    Enjoy!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Thanks, that's a good cheat sheet. I waited for almost a half an hour for Mageia to load and never got past the splash screen so I guess it's just not going to be my cup of tea. Thanks for the replies though. I just put Ubuntu Gnome on the ol' #3 to play with that way I get Gnome 3 AND Firefox unlike my pure Debian install with Gnome 3 that only gave me Iceweasel. Oh well, see ya'll on the fourms.

Mageia is built on Mandriva. So look there for some good info.

Mandriva, based on Mandrake. Mandrake was once used by NASA...
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Once upon a time, guess it was 1998 or 1999 I tried to install Mandrake Linux on my desktop computer after I'd become totally sick of Windows 98. Of course I didn't know enough about it back then so it was a total bust but oh how my life would have been changed for the better if I'd have been able to get the job done.
    Of course I did spend 11 fairly happy years with my iMac but it would have been cool to have been into Linux since '99 instead of just the last 8 months.