Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am fairly new to linux but have been playing around with it for the past few weeks.. Ive managed to install and have a play with a few ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How do I install these linux distro's without ISO file?

Hello, I am fairly new to linux but have been playing around with it for the past few weeks..

Ive managed to install and have a play with a few linux distros like Ubuntu, xubuntu, mint, puppy but these were all easy to install as i just downloaded the .iso file, then I burned the file to a disc and installed it on my test PC...

I am trying to install the distros 'ratpoison' and 'awesome' but i just download a.tar.gz file which just extracts some files...

How do I burn this onto a disc?

thanks!

****Just google for "ratpoison linux" or "awesome linux" to find them, ive just signed up so cannot post URLS

ratpoison and awesome are not distros. They are programs that can run on any distro. You must install them from within an existing distro. You can do this from the source code (the .tar.gz file which you downloaded), but it is much easier to install the binary directly using your distro's package manager. For Ubuntu and Mint, this means synaptic. Fire it up, find ratpoison and check the box to install it,
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Aren't they both windows managers?

Install TARBALL if you really want to do it that way.

For apt-get based
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install ratpoison