Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed Unity Linux from unity-linux.org. I installed it on a usb key. I rebooted with the usb boot option. It started up fine but it dropped me into ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Getting into the graphical desktop in Unity Linux

I just installed Unity Linux from unity-linux.org. I installed it on a usb key. I rebooted with the usb boot option. It started up fine but it dropped me into a console login screen. I was expecting a full featured graphical desktop. I still believe it has one. Please tell me how to get into the graphical desktop. I am new to linux and have no clue.

What Unity did you want Unity Linux or Ubuntu with the Unity desktop??? What you installed is Unity Linux and it says on the front page...
    >>>
    The current release for Unity Linux is 2012 Alpha 1. Unity is released in both 32 and 64bit versions. The release is command line only but a GUI can be added with relative ease by the Smart Package Manager.
    <<<

So to get a graphical interface you'd have be a more experined user and install more packages. I think you want the Ubuntu that has a graphical desktop called Unity. Ubuntu is a good Linux for beginners so you best bet would be to download Ubuntu and install it.

Just Joined!

Thanks for the reply...missed that it is Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by docbop View Post
    What Unity did you want Unity Linux or Ubuntu with the Unity desktop??? What you installed is Unity Linux and it says on the front page...
    >>>
    The current release for Unity Linux is 2012 Alpha 1. Unity is released in both 32 and 64bit versions. The release is command line only but a GUI can be added with relative ease by the Smart Package Manager.
    <<<

So to get a graphical interface you'd have be a more experined user and install more packages. I think you want the Ubuntu that has a graphical desktop called Unity. Ubuntu is a good Linux for beginners so you best bet would be to download Ubuntu and install it.
    you are right. thanks!