Find the answer to your Linux question:
I installed DSL in VMware Player. The installation seems to work OK, but I cannot move the cursor. The cursor shows but it remains static. Any idea what the cause ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    whs
    Just Joined!

Dam Small Linux in VMware Player - cursor problems

I installed DSL in VMware Player. The installation seems to work OK, but I cannot move the cursor. The cursor shows but it remains static. Any idea what the cause could be.

I haven't used virtual machines in a while, but I seem to remember either a setting or clicking inside the VM to get the cursor to function.
    The online documentation might help on some of these little issues. If not, post back and someone should be able to chime in with more help.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Linux Newbie
    I use virtualbox for my virtualisation and it has settings to inform it when you want the VM to have focus. In my case, it is the right hand "control" key.

whs
    Just Joined!
    Thanks guys for the responses. But it does not really fix my problem.

It is not a big problem. I just wanted DSL in VMware Player to run my webradio. I installed Mint Mate instead. Works great. If anybody wants to setup Mint mate, here is how.

https://skydrive.live.com/view.aspx?...=WordPdf&wdo=1
    Last edited by whs; 01-02-2014 at 10:45 PM.

Just Joined!
    VMware often requires their "tools" to be installed after the OS in order to get some things working properly. Some distros, such as Debian and some LXDE spins, do not have all the software to install VMware tools correctly. I'm guessing that DSL would fall into that bracket and need some additional software to get everything working properly.

The following link refers to debian but installing the same software worked in Fedora 17 and 18 LXDE spins to get VMware Tools installed and working. (So far though it hasn't worked for me with Lubuntu 13-10)

Install VMware tools | Debian Tutorials

I find that reading about similar problems in other distros often gives me ideas to try in the VM I'm working on. just remember to change the instruction part (apt-get, yum etc.) to the one appropriate to your distro.

whs
    Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply. I usally always install the tools for the virtual systems. But for DSL I would not have needed them because the only pupose of DSL was to run my webradio. Now I solved that with one of my Mint systems.