Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is there any easy way to update EasyPeasy from it's Ubuntu 10.04 base to say, 13.10 or are we stuck with such an early release of Ubuntu with this Distro? ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Updating EasyPeasy.

Is there any easy way to update EasyPeasy from it's Ubuntu 10.04 base to say, 13.10 or are we stuck with such an early release of Ubuntu with this Distro? Also, is EasyPeasy really that much lighter then say Ubuntu/Gnome 13.10? I'm looking for something to run on a Netbook and want it to be light but it also had to be functional and Debian/Ubuntu based. Thanks.

Linux Guru
    Jon Ramvi, the developer of Easy Peasy. Well here is his quote.

Quote Originally Posted by ramvi View Post
    I'd love for someone to be interested in seeing EasyPeasy live on! I'll help out as much as I can

Best regards
    Jon Ramvi
    Creator of EasyPeasy
    In fact. I think but cannot swear to it , because I really don't know, that he runs Crunchbang now.
    Jon Ramvi | CrunchBase Profile

They did bring out EasyPeasy 2.0 Alpha which is basically Ubuntu 12.04LTS with a Gnome 3 desktop. Seems decent enough and I like their Gnome 3 a bit better then the Gnome 3 that I was running under Ubuntu 13.10.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I did a search at distrowatch.com for netbooks and ubuntu based. Here is the list the search returned:
    1. Lubuntu (16)
    Lubuntu is a fast, lightweight and energy-saving variant of Ubuntu using the LXDE (Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment) desktop. It is intended to have low-resource system requirements and is designed primarily for netbooks, mobile devices and older PCs.

2. Peppermint OS (34)
    Peppermint OS is a Lubuntu-based Linux distribution that aims to be lightning fast and easy on system resources. By employing Mozilla's Prism technology Peppermint integrates seamlessly with Cloud and web-based applications. The distribution's other features include automatic updates, easy step-by-step installation, sleek and user-friendly interface, and increased mobility by integrating directly with Cloud-based applications.

3. Pinguy OS (44)
    Pinguy OS is an Ubuntu-based distribution targeted at beginning Linux users. It features numerous user-friendly enhancements, out-of-the-box support for multimedia codecs and browser plugins, a heavily tweaked GNOME user interface with enhanced menus, panels and dockbars, and a careful selection of popular desktop applications for many common computing tasks.

4. EasyPeasy (152)
    EasyPeasy (formerly Ubuntu Eee) is an Ubuntu-based distribution for netbooks. It uses Ubuntu Netbook Remix graphical user interface and includes open source as well as proprietary software.

5. Leeenux (177)
    Leeenux is an Ubuntu-based commercial Linux distribution tailored to netbooks. Several editions, depending on the user interface are available; these include Unity 2D, MATE, LXDE and the original Ubuntu Netbook Edition interface.

6. Runtu (205)
    Runtu is a Russian desktop Linux distribution based on Ubuntu. It features full support for Russian and a variety of extra applications, tools and media codecs.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Thanks for the info. I've tried all of the major DE's and really only felt comfortable with GNOME 2/MATE and GNOME 3. Probably just stick with either Ubuntu/GNOME 13.10 or EasyPeasy 2.0 although I do have a question about it.
    I installed Gnome Tweak Tool and got it set up the way I like it but now my "shut down" option is gone from my drop down, only has "suspend" listed and I need to use my power button to shut down. Also when waking from suspend I have to type in my password despite having that disabled in my system setting. So what gives??

Linux Guru
    I need to use my power button to shut down.
    I don't know how to fix it but

Code:
    sudo shutdown -h now
    is better than pressing than power button.

I just went back to Ubuntu/GNOME 13.10. It's less flaky the EasyPeasy and it's also more of a rolling Distro so it'll get regular updates.