Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been running Point Linux 2.2 "Taya" for about 6 months now. It's Debian Stable based with a MATE desktop so it only uses about 140-150MB of RAM for the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Point Linux 2.2 runs awesome on my new(to me) Netbook.

I've been running Point Linux 2.2 "Taya" for about 6 months now. It's Debian Stable based with a MATE desktop so it only uses about 140-150MB of RAM for the desktop, pretty light IMHO. Anyway, I switched to Ubuntu/GNOME 3 for about a month and it looks nice and all but it burns up 200-250MB of RAM, way more then I want to use since I only have 1.5GB total and would like to conserve all that I can for when I'm surfing the web.
    So, I installed Point Linux on my Acer Aspire One ZG5 and it runs really nicely. Anyone who's looking for a lighter Distro but doesn't want to give up all the nice features of a full Distro should look into Point Linux. I think you'll really love it. Anyway, just wanted to share. See ya'll on the forums.

I have always been of the opinion that Women, the kind of vehicle you drive, how you like your coffee/tea , and Gnu/LinuxOS
    is a personal matter.

That is why my eyes roll every time I hear some fanatic criticize another linux member, "but mine is best"!
    Have fun with it bro.

I saw a bunch of vespas (biker pack) of older men today at the La Fiesta having breakfast. I rolled up on my Harley and had a nice Jaw Jack with them.
    Told em I work on those also. Run what ya brung, I always say. Never judge a person by what he is happy using.

Have a ball, bro.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I agree, sometimes a person can't afford a nice Harley so he has to ride something else. There's a local place here that sells those funny looking scooters, they aren't very fast, I'm sure they don't maneuver very well but they DO get 95-100mpg. When gas was hitting $4 bucks a gal. around here I'll bet there were a lot of folks that wish they had one to run around town on,LOL.
    I'm pretty adaptable, I can learn to use most anything if the need arises. I personally prefer Debian/Ubuntu bases Distros because I started with Ubuntu so I'm use to "apt-get". I also love the stability of Debian and I can live with either the GNOME 2/MATE DE or GNOME 3, doesn't really matter as long as the hardware will put up with it. MATE just seems to be a bit lighter and run a little better on that Netbook. I'm sure there's other DE's that be even better but I've tried XFCE, KDE, LXDE and others that I can't even remember and MATE is just so easy for me to use, that's why I stick with it.
    Anyway, just wanted to share my experience with Point Linux 2.2 on my Netbook in case someone was looking for something to run on their Netbook and wasn't sure what to try or where to begin. Talk to ya' later pard. Have a great weekend.