Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By IsaacKuo
I dual boot Elementary OS and Windows 8.1 (for World of Warcraft only) and I want to transfer both OS to a SSD. I would like to know if there ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Transfer two OS to a SSD

I dual boot Elementary OS and Windows 8.1 (for World of Warcraft only) and I want to transfer both OS to a SSD.

I would like to know if there is some software that will transfer Grub2 also.

Linux Enthusiast
    Grub sites in a boot sector (main for the disk or for a partition). As such Grub would need to be installed on the SSD so that it is the proper drive. Since you have not stated a grub version, I can not say how that is to be done. (Big differences 0.97, 0.97 (>2Tb), and 2!).

I believe dd can cross disk geometries.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Here is an awesome how-to: How to migrate XP, Vista, Linux, BSD and Solaris to a bigger hard disk

I have used this method to transfer dual-boot Windows/Linux setups from one drive to another many, many, many times. It has always worked, with the one exception being due to a bad source drive (can't be helped...hardware failure, after all).

The big question is if you are going to a smaller drive. In that case, you will first want to use gparted (from a liveCD), to shrink/move your existing partitions first. In my experience, I have found it necessary to delete the swap partition and recreate it...this alters the UUID, so it's also necessary to change the entry in /etc/fstab. But other than that, it's really just a matter of resizing/moving partitons so they all fit in the size of the destination drive. In gparted, you want to squeeze the partitions to the "left"...in other words, the "start" of the disk.

Then, after you do that, use dd to transfer the data (that will fit) from the source drive to the destination drive. The important steps are:

1) fdisk -l

This command lists the size of each drive, and lists the partitions on each drive. It is an IMPORTANT step for you to make sure you know what the source and destination drives are! Even if you THINK you know for sure which one is which, ALWAYS do this step to make sure. I've been burned by weird renaming of /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, /dev/sdc...well actually I haven't. But I almost have, and fdisk -l saved me.

2) dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=32256

This is the command that actually transfers the data. Before you run it, be absolutely sure none of the partitions on either drive are currently mounted.

By default, dd will start at the very start of the block device (including the main boot record), and will just keep on going until it reaches the end of either disk.
    docbop likes this.
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by IsaacKuo View Post
    1) fdisk -l

This command lists the size of each drive, and lists the partitions on each drive. It is an IMPORTANT step for you to make sure you know what the source and destination drives are! Even if you THINK you know for sure which one is which, ALWAYS do this step to make sure. I've been burned by weird renaming of /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, /dev/sdc...well actually I haven't. But I almost have, and fdisk -l saved me.
    This will only work on drives that are 2Tb or smaller (and only if they were not created having a GPT as required for > 2Tb drives).

Just Joined!
    I will be honest, I wasnt sure it was possible to copy completely and OS to another HDD without some screw up.