Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have a CentOS 6.4 which will go online is configuredwith NTP server(india pool). I have AIX 6.1 servers which I want to configure as NTP client by giving ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Aix server time jumps advanced by 1 hour when sync with ntp

Hi,

I have a CentOS 6.4 which will go online is configuredwith NTP server(india pool). I have AIX 6.1 servers which I want to configure as NTP client by giving the IP of my CentOS server. I configured it as NTP client and When I synchronised it with the command ntpdate my AIX server time jumped up by 1 hour and shut my oracle database down.

I have checked my zone timings IST-5:30 in AIX and the same in Centos with Asia/Kolkata. My Linux clients works fine, but AIX time doesn't sync with my NTP Server. Please help me in resolving the issue

I saw a problem like this before and the OS was going by the computers system clock and not ntp. Have you tried an ntpdate to force an update, of course could hose your Oracle again.

Just Joined!
    When i force ntpdate to sync the time jumps up by 1 hour. Also I notice a peculiar problem of xntpd daemon shutting itself down in 5 minutes. I observed this when i issued the command lssrc it throws the error.

0513-036 The request could not be passed to the xntpd subsystem.
    Start the subsystem and try your command again.

So again am restarting xntpd service and it shuts in 5 minutes.
    I am not able to figure out why.

Linux Engineer