Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys. Installed zorin 8 on my netbook...very impressed But is it an ok distro to learn to use linux on I know its based on ubuntu which is derived ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

is zorin good for learning linux

Hi guys.

Installed zorin 8 on my netbook...very impressed
    But is it an ok distro to learn to use linux on
    I know its based on ubuntu which is derived from debian...but does zorin have any limitations or pitfalls when learning about linux...or is it all the same thing...

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    There are a number of Debian/Ubuntu-derived distributions such as Mint, Zorin, and others. The good thing about them is that you can install and use any Debian or Ubuntu package on the system, so in effect it is all the same - or if not the same, close enough to not need to care!

So, have fun, and start learning Linux. Don't just use it, but explore it! Remember, if you fark things up, at least you have the power to fix it. Also, there are free virtual machine managers such as VirtualBox that you can install, and then run other versions of Linux in virtual machines so you can easily compare one distribution with another. IE, if you are looking at getting a job at a company that uses Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) or CentOS (an RHEL clone - very common these days), then you can install CentOS (free - RHEL is not) in a VM and learn how to install/run/administer/use it.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!