Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am trying to install Chakra Benz OS in dual boot with Windows 8.1 and am running into an issue. When I get to the point where I am ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help with BIOS boot partition

Hello,

I am trying to install Chakra Benz OS in dual boot with Windows 8.1 and am running into an issue. When I get to the point where I am mounting my newly created partitions, I get an error message stating this: "When using a GPT Partition Table you need to have an unformatted partition with the bios_grub flag!"

I have tried a few programs, including a live boot CD of GParted, but I cannot bios_grub flag an unformatted partition. I read to try and format it to fat16, but it wouldn't allow for that either. Is there any way this can be done? I am also wondering, where should this partition reside?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Rather than manually partitioning the drive with gparted, have you tried installing the Linux system and telling it to use available space - allowing it to repartition the drive itself?

In any case, DO make a backup of the system drive BEFORE you do any of this! Also, make sure it is a bit image of the drive, stored on an accessible external drive so if you get totally munged by the installation, you can restore the drive to the backup state.

Finally, I do NOT recommend dual booting systems unless you REALLY need direct hardware access. I prefer generally to use a virtual machine for other operating systems. You should be able to use VirtualBox on your Win 8.1 system, and thus run Linux as a guest. I do most of my work development on Linux, and that runs in a virtual machine on my work Windows 7 laptop.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!