Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By docbop
I'd love to find a basic Debian Testing Distro that only has a Desktop(MATE or xfce, maybe GNOME 3) and a Terminal installed "out of the box" leaving all the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Basic Debian Testing Distro with just a DE and Terminal??

I'd love to find a basic Debian Testing Distro that only has a Desktop(MATE or xfce, maybe GNOME 3) and a Terminal installed "out of the box" leaving all the other little things like a Browser, Package Manager(I like Synaptic) ect. for me to install. Is there any kind of Core Debian Testing Distro like that out there or are we all pretty much stuck with having a lot of pre-installed stuff that never gets used in all the Distros to be had??

P.S.
    I did find this on Distro Watch:
    http://www.makululinux.com/mate.htm
    but I'm not sure if it's really what I'm looking for or not.
    Last edited by TNFrank; 04-14-2014 at 04:55 PM.
    "Now, what y'all wanna do?
    Wanna be hackers? Code crackers? Slackers
    Wastin' time with all the chatroom yakkers?
    9 to 5, chillin' at Hewlett Packard?"

Linux Engineer
    You can build your on with the net installer. Here's a pretty good example: Minimal Debian Install Linux For Cynics

I thought with the text-based installer you could do a server/minimal install. I wish they were like the Solaris installer that had options for how lean of an install to do.
    TNFrank likes this.
    A lion does not lose sleep, over the opinion of sheep.

Interesting link, thanks. Am I right in thinking that "rolling your own" is one of the main reasons that folks go with Arch? Not quite ready to give up "apt-get" but I may look into Arch a bit more. I'd just like to have stuff that I want installed without all the extra stuff that I never use. I use Clementine so why should I take up SSD space with Rhythmbox. I like Shotwell but notice that there's other photo viewers installed by default on most Distros, again, taking up SSD space.
    I'm not a total Terminal Geek so I do want a full Desktop like MATE or similar installed so I can have a menu and stuff. Anyway, this all depends on weather or not I see Gqrx in the Debian Testing Repos tomorrow. If it's there then I might try to make up my own custom Debian Testing Distro, if not then I'll just keep running Kali.

Quote Originally Posted by docbop View Post
    I thought with the text-based installer you could do a server/minimal install. I wish they were like the Solaris installer that had options for how lean of an install to do.
    Ditto, that would be sweet if you could pick to install or not install certain things during the install of the OS. It would also be cool if they'd let you pick your DE during install. That way you could install MATE or xfce and terminal and then add what you want after you boot into the new install. That would save a lot of space for most users.

Debian does have a command line option to install XFCE as your desktop, I've used it in the past.

Code:
    Install a fresh system with Xfce

If you install a new system, the installation guide explains a way to install Xfce directly:

At the Debian Installer boot prompt, press the tab key to edit the command line, then add

desktop=xfce
                Alternatively, go to "Advanced options" then "Alternate desktop environments", and choose Xfce there. 
        When prompted to select the task to install, make sure you click "Desktop Environment"
    A lion does not lose sleep, over the opinion of sheep.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank
    I'd just like to have stuff that I want installed without all the extra stuff that I never use.
    As gregm posted, the netsinstall iso sets up a base OS from which you can install whatever you want. Might wanna check out 'aptitude,' a text-only pkg manager. Once you become familiar with it in a terminal (type 'aptitude' and hit enter) or console, you may find it easier and quicker than synaptic or the other GUI pkg managers. You can see/search all the installed/not installed pkgs as well as track down what dependencies are needed before installing. It can also be used as a cmd, like apt-get.

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    I thought with the text-based installer you could do a server/minimal install.
    Yup, there's a netinstall at ~180MB and there's also a 12MB unofficial "mini-iso" as a base install... both have text-based installers.

Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank
    that would be sweet if you could pick to install or not install certain things during the install of the OS
    That kinda choice is somewhat limiting unless you're familiar, beforehand, with how many dependencies it'll automatically install. However, you can chroot into a fresh install (while still running the Debian installer iso) to do just that.

I tend toward DE-independent apps so it doesn't bring in a bunch of dependencies (libs and/or apps). That can also be limiting... if I wanted to use K3b (KDE's CD/DVD burner) I'd hafta install 322MB of KDE libs, apps and services. Instead, I use SimpleBurn at 2600K... a lot less capable but it does what I need. Lotsa choices.

This has all become moot now. I've moved to Manjaro with an xfce DE. Gqrx is in the AUR so I can get my SDR on and there's also a ton of other software in the AUR too. Manjaro makes it easy enough for even me to get in on all that Arch goodness without all the fuss and muss and last I checked on a couple other installs I'm only eating up around 6GB of SSD space, that's 11GB less then my Kali install and I still have Gqrx.
    I finally think I'm going to move away from Debian based OS and move to an Arch based one. Hope it doesn't turn me into an "Arch Snob", LOL