Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
I am installing Manjaro to my hard drive from a DVD. It is stuck at 22 % for over 10 minutes. Can I exit without corrupting my other partitions ? ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installation stuck at 22 %

I am installing Manjaro to my hard drive from a DVD.

It is stuck at 22 % for over 10 minutes.

Can I exit without corrupting my other partitions ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fixit7 View Post

Thanks
    According to the peanut butter side down principle . Probably not.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Not a good start for Manjaro.

Andy

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice, shame on me.

Linux Guru
    If you selected to install it on its own partition and did not select to install its bootloader to the mbr, you could be alright booting your other system. If you cancel and it doesn't boot because of your bootloader selection, you can always use the installation medium of your other OS to install its bootloader.
    rokytnji likes this.

Linux Engineer

Thanks
    Sometimes you can switch to a terminal with ctrl+alt+f1 / f2 and see what's going on, then switch to another terminal and try to fix that problem. But, you probably just have a bad burn.

I've not had a problem at all installing Manjaro but then again I always install it as my only Op System and not alongside another one. Not sure what the problem may be, you may have a corrupt copy that you burned to DVD. Not really sure how to do an md5 checksum but you might want to see if your download is good or not or just download Manjaro again and burn another DVD or use UNetbootin to make a Live USB(faster install using USB vs DVD) and give that a try.
    "Now, what y'all wanna do?
    Wanna be hackers? Code crackers? Slackers
    Wastin' time with all the chatroom yakkers?
    9 to 5, chillin' at Hewlett Packard?"

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    Not sure what the problem may be, you may have a corrupt copy that you burned to DVD. Not really sure how to do an md5 checksum but you might want to see if your download is good .
    Always good advice. There's a utility called md5sum.It takes the downloaded file name as it's argument and spits out the checksum. You then compare that to the checksum on the download site.

Quote Originally Posted by gregm View Post
    Always good advice. There's a utility called md5sum.It takes the downloaded file name as it's argument and spits out the checksum. You then compare that to the checksum on the download site.
    I really need to look into that program. Right now I just download and burn to disc or use UNetbootin to make a Live USB and go from there. I wonder how many times a Distro didn't work because it was a bad download as opposed to just not working on my hardware? I guess until I start checking the md5sum I'll really never know. I think I'll hit the ol' Octopi and see if md5sum is available in the AUR. Thanks.

Just Joined!

Install went well

I installed Manjaro from a pen drive.

Now I can triple boot to Manjaro, Puppy Linux, and Windows XP.

And my md5 sums were correct.

I have noticed more problems when installing from CD/DVD than from pen drives.

Andy
    gregm likes this.

I have noticed more problems when installing from CD/DVD than from pen drives.

Andy
    You know with certain Distros I've had just the opposite experience. Many times they won't work properly from a Live USB stick but work fine when burned to a DVD. I guess different Distros are set up in their .iso to work best in different formats. Some work well with a USB stick and others work better when burned to a DVD.
    I'll normally put the .iso in my collection on my external 320GB HDD and burn a copy to a DVD, that way I can either boot to DVD or use the .iso on the HDD to use UNetbootin to make up a Live USB stick to play with.
    Of course my two main Distros, Manjaro and Point Linux 2.3 are on USB sticks that I'll not touch, the Distros are pretty much on those USB's to stay. I also now have a Live USB stick with TAILS on it to play around with and in fact I'm here right now booted to that USB stick.
    You can never have too many Distros stored back on both an external HDD or USB stick(just the .iso in raw form, not made Live) or on DVD. That way you've always got them available for future use.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast