Find the answer to your Linux question:
So, it's Gentoo based but I also read something about being "Arch" so will I use "pacman" to download packages in Terminal or what? I've used Debian based stuff for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

So what is Sabayon?

So, it's Gentoo based but I also read something about being "Arch" so will I use "pacman" to download packages in Terminal or what? I've used Debian based stuff for over a year that uses apt-get and I've been using Manjaro for about a month now and it uses pacman and I'd like to branch out a bit with something that'd still be familiar but also different. So, will Sabayon use pacman then?

P.S.
    Ok, did a bit of looking about on the interweb, so Sabayon uses "equo" in place of pacman or apt-get? I thought I did read that it used pacman as well but with all these different ways of doing the same thing in different Distros it sometimes gets a bit confusing. LOL
    Last edited by TNFrank; 05-20-2014 at 03:41 PM.
    No matter where ya' go, there ya' are.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Sabayon is to Gentoo what Manjaro is to Arch and SolydXK is to Debian...
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Ahh, ok. So it's "Easy Gentoo" so to speak. I burned the 14.05 .iso but after boot all I got was a mouse pointer and a black screen. Think I'll download 14.01 and see if it works any better. I've been going through DVD's like there's no tomorrow with all the Distros I've been burning through lately, LOL. I'll check back in and see if 14.01 does any better. Also, just in case you're wondering why I'm not just using UNetbootin to make a Live USB, I've learned that many times some of the harder Distros tend to work better from a DVD then they do from a Live USB so that's the reason. Anyway, time to go download. C ya'll in a bit.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Ok got 14.01 downloaded and burned to a DVD. Boots up to the desktop like a charm, just wonder how the install would be? What are they using to format the hard drive? If it's cfdisk or similar forget it, gparted then probably but something like the Ubuntu installer where you can adjust the amount of hard drive you give the new Sabayon install would be great so I could dual boot with Manjaro and Sabayon on the same HDD. Looks interesting, I'm going to have to do an install and play around with equo to see how it works. I'd like to learn as many "languages" as possible. I've got "apt-get" down pretty well and "pacman" is coming along nicely, guess I need to add "equo" to the list.

Linux Guru
    I've been going through DVD's like there's no tomorrow with all the Distros I've been burning through lately
    You could try using VirtualBox to save on DVDs. Or you can boot some iso files directly from Grub2 and pretty much any distro extracted to a partition on your hard drive with either Grub2 or Grub Legacy.

I've never really played with a VM much. I guess it would be easier to just give a Distro a look in a VM vs having to burn a DVD or make a Live USB to see what it's all about. Probably something I really need to check into a bit later on, if for no other reason then just to learn how to do it.

I cut off a 30GB chunk of hard drive and installed Sabayon today. Tried to do updates but none of the mirrors would work, all gave check sum errors. Then I tried to install Firefox and was ask to hit 1 for read, 2 for I read it and install or 3 for I read it and don't bother me again. I hit 3 and it went back to the options of 1, 2 or 3. Tried that a few times but just kept going around in a circle. I've uninstalled Sabayon. Not sure why it acted the way it did, maybe I need to sync the mirrors or something like I do in Manjaro where I do a "sudo pacman-mirrors -g" command in Terminal to get good mirrors. Either way I'm just glad I have Manjaro to use, it's become my "go to" in a big way now since so many other Distros are so buggy.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I don't get any these problems you have with repositories. It makes we wonder if you have a dodgy network card. Have a look at ifconfig or maybe /sbin/ifconfig to see how many errors you have.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Could also be that I'm using 7+ year old laptops too. Not going to worry too much about it. Manjaro Xfce runs great on my laptops, even the NC4400 where I've had problems with Sabayon and Antergos both. I've also ran a few other Debian based Distros on all of em' without any problems at all so who knows why Sabayon won't run well.

P.S.
    Here's my ifconfig under Manjaro:

ens1: flags=4099<UP,BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    ether 00:16:d4:9a:b5:55 txqueuelen 1000 (Ethernet)
    RX packets 0 bytes 0 (0.0 B)
    RX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 frame 0
    TX packets 0 bytes 0 (0.0 B)
    TX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 carrier 0 collisions 0
    device interrupt 16

lo: flags=73<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING> mtu 65536
    inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 255.0.0.0
    inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128 scopeid 0x10<host>
    loop txqueuelen 0 (Local Loopback)
    RX packets 144 bytes 10656 (10.4 KiB)
    TX packets 144 bytes 10656 (10.4 KiB)

wlp16s0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    inet 192.168.254.21 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.254.255
    inet6 fe80::218:deff:fe7c:4249 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x20<link>
    ether 00:18:de:7c:42:49 txqueuelen 1000 (Ethernet)
    RX packets 8805 bytes 11082542 (10.5 MiB)
    TX packets 5326 bytes 636717 (621.7 KiB)

Looks like no errors at all.