Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I've installed CentOS 7 to work side by side with Windows 8, but is not listed in the boot menu after installing Cent OS. i tried to add a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Cannot dual boot with Windows 8

Hello,

I've installed CentOS 7 to work side by side with Windows 8, but is not listed in the boot menu after installing Cent OS.

i tried to add a custom entry and automatic detection using 40_custom and 15_windows, it says found Windows 8 on dev/sda1 ... bla bla bla but nothing happens after restart

I don't want to use Windows repair so i can't use centos anymore. i want to use centos and windows side by side.

any solutions?

Thanks in advance.

Just Joined!
    Try using a linux boot-repair disk. Usually that will fix the problem

Just Joined!
    thank you very much, but i wasn't able to boot from USB drive using boot-repair.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Lightbulb Solution

i found the solution, after running the grub2-mkconfig i just realized that the "/etc/grub2.cfg" is not updated even if it's detecting the windows partition at the terminal.

after running the grub2-mkconfig, i just checked the section "### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###", and copied the menu entry from there, as explained in the picture:

Screenshot from 2014-07-28 15:54:53.jpg

after that, i added the menu entry to the grub2 config file "/etc/grub2.cfg" in the same section "### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###".

and finally, i booted to the windows os