Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone. Thanks in advace for anyone and everyone that can help me. Im currently running Kali Linux 1.0.8 as my only OS...I tried to install windows 7 for dual ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Kali Linux 1.0.8....Trouble..Trying to install Windows

Hi everyone. Thanks in advace for anyone and everyone that can help me.
    Im currently running Kali Linux 1.0.8 as my only OS...I tried to install windows 7 for dual boot but ran into trouble.
    I get the following message:

GDBus.Error:org.gtk.GDBus.UnmappedGError.Quark._pk _5ftransaction_5ferror.Code4: SimulateInstallFiles not supported by backend

Can anyone help a girl out lol????

As a rule you need to install Windows first and Linux second. Is there some real reason why you need Windows 7 or do you just want to have it to have it? If there's no real reason then I'd skip installing it. Also, if you're running Kali be sure that you've made an Admin account to run it under and that you're not running it as root. That'll save you from messing something up unintentionally.
    "Now, what y'all wanna do?
    Wanna be hackers? Code crackers? Slackers
    Wastin' time with all the chatroom yakkers?
    9 to 5, chillin' at Hewlett Packard?"

Just Joined!
    Oh thank you for replying! Kali is the only thing im running..windows is gone..(friend used my computer)
    I like windows 7 for the compatability of different programs,electronics,graphic plotters.etc. So is that my problem? running as root?

Quote Originally Posted by LadyL View Post
    Im currently running Kali Linux 1.0.8 as my only OS...
    totally not recommended.
    install a normal distro.

As far as running Kali as your "daily driver" there's no difference in running it then there is any other Debian based Distro. Just be sure to set up an Admin account so you're not running as root all the time and boot to that account to use your install. I ran Kali as my DD for about 3 months so I'd have SDR support for my SDR-RTL dongle and had zero issues aside from it hogging up close to 17GB of hard drive space because of all the little "extras" it has installed.
    Of course once I found Manjaro I no longer needed Kali and so I'm not running it anymore but it's not because it was a PenTesting Distro, it's because it was a hard drive hog and I found something smaller that'd do the same things for me.

Just Joined!
    Thank you very much! After too many complications I decided to try out Zorin. I like it so far.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyL View Post
    Thank you very much! After too many complications I decided to try out Zorin. I like it so far.
    Zorin OS 9 isn't too bad to start with. It's basically Ubuntu with a spin so that you can make it look like Windows 7, XP or traditional GNOME 2(my pick of the bunch) so it's easy for folks who are use to Windows to transition over to. Sasha on Category 5 is using Zorin as her first Linux based OS. Of course Robbie on Category 5 uses Point Linux which is good too and a Debian based OS. I've moved on from Debian based stuff to Arch based stuff because I really do find pacman easier to use then apt-get and the AUR(Arch User Repository) has to many packages in it that I just can't ask for more.
    Manjaro is a spin of Arch with their own Repos(i.e. mirrors) and it's really easy to install and set up. If you get a change give Manjaro a look. Xfce is the default desktop for Manjaro and you can change it up quite a bit from the way it looks "out of the box" so don't be afraid of how it looks in Live boot. Also, Manjaro has a great forum with plenty of folks who can help you with any problems you run into and the Developers are also on the forums too so that's pretty cool. Anyway, good luck with Zorin.