Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Puppy Linux not recognizing wi-fi password

Hi there, I have a netbook running Puppy Linux which is installed to the harddrive, I've been trying to connect it to my wi-fi but every time I enter my WEP key it will not accept it, unfortunately the netbook has no LAN socket it just has wi-fi so thats my only way to connect it to the internet.
    I also tried to connect it to the McDonald's wi-fi which is an open network just to test without any joy?

Is there a fix for this problem?

Any sudo commands that I could try?

Many thanks.

Did I get that right, did you mean that trying to connect to an open WLAN, the McD one, also failed?
    If so, seems there is another error with your network, not only the "not recognizing wi-fi password" issue.

I recommend you try another minimal Linux and see if that works okay. If that also fails to connect to an open WLAN, then there might be another issue with your system.
    Cheers!
    yours truly, Rava

Could you post the exact error you get?
    This may seem silly, but on my laptop, there is a switch on the side that I will inadvertently touch, that will disable my wifi. Does yours have a switch like that?
    If you want to learn more about linux take a linux journey
    https://linuxjourney.com/
    Use CODE tags when posting output of commands. Thank you.
    https://www.linuxcounter.net/cert/608410.png

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    -->
    Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    I've been trying to connect it to my wi-fi but every time I enter my WEP key it will not accept it, unfortunately the netbook has no LAN socket it just has wi-fi so thats my only way to connect it to the internet.
    I also tried to connect it to the McDonald's wi-fi which is an open network just to test without any joy?
    first of all, WEP sounds fishy to me. shouldn't it be WPA?
    second, try it first on a network that you know is working for you, preferably at home. mcdonalds free wifi will most likely have weird restrictions and is not a good primary testing environment; save that for later when you get it working at home.

ok, we need some info.

please open a terminal window and post the information requested here, or as much of it as possible.
    please post it in code tags (there's a '#' button on the toolbar) and in a way that we can see which command provided which output.