Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1

    Problems accessing Linux shared folder from Win7 system


    Happy Friday everyone!

    I have a Kali Linux box with a shared folder on it that I would like to access from my Win7 system.

    I've downloaded samba, configured smb.conf file. I tried to run this:

    # mount -t cifs //192.168.0.27/Test -o
    username=yourusername,password=yourpasswd /mnt

    but system kept returning an error saying cannot mount Share because it is read-only.

    I tried changing permissions on the folder directly, but the changes don't stick. I make the changes, click Change and box closes, but when I immediately go back into folder permissions to check, the changes have reverted back to default settings.

    I tried installing cifs-utils (both apt install cifs-utils and apt-get install cifs-utils) but it won't download for some reason.

    Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks! Have a great weekend!

  2. #2
    Linux Guru Segfault's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Acadiana
    Posts
    2,185
    You got it wrong. Kali Linux is a tool for network administrators for penetration testing, it is not an everyday use Linux distro.

  3. #3
    Understood. But the decision to use Kali at my work was not mine. It was made before I started here and therefore had no say in the final decision to use it. So it's what I have to work with.

  4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
  5. #4
    Linux User
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    443
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyesc72 View Post
    Understood. But the decision to use Kali at my work was not mine. It was made before I started here and therefore had no say in the final decision to use it. So it's what I have to work with.
    really hard to believe that a COMPANY picked kali to use on desktop machines, seeing as its hard to work with and using it for office tasks is going to be a huge pain. sorry, doesnt add up. since there is a 'they" that is keeping you using kali, ask them for help, since theyve probably had to deal with loads of crap like this before, since kali is TOTALLY UNSUITABLE to use as a daily driver. 'they" probably have lots of resources.

    and things like 'wont download for some reason" dont tell us squat. what do you think we can tell you based on that, besides 'you have connectivity issues". get the packages installed and try again. might want to ask 'them" for help as well.

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by habit View Post
    really hard to believe that a COMPANY picked kali to use on desktop machines, seeing as its hard to work with and using it for office tasks is going to be a huge pain. sorry, doesnt add up. since there is a 'they" that is keeping you using kali, ask them for help, since theyve probably had to deal with loads of crap like this before, since kali is TOTALLY UNSUITABLE to use as a daily driver. 'they" probably have lots of resources.

    and things like 'wont download for some reason" dont tell us squat. what do you think we can tell you based on that, besides 'you have connectivity issues". get the packages installed and try again. might want to ask 'them" for help as well.
    I never said the company used Kali across the board. I said I have A Kali box. It is used by our cyber defense office because it has many of the programs they use pre-loaded. And it is the only Linux box on the network so our admins aren't involved. Only our CD people work with it.

    And I said the package wouldn't download for some reason because I didn't have the exact error message in front of me. The Kali box is in a secure room that I cannot access from my workstation in my office due to a network migration we are going through - my desktop system is on the new network and the Kali box is still on the old network. My co-worker's desktop is on the old network too; we're using his system to try and get into the shared folder on the Kali box. I Google'd how to access a Linux shared folder from a Windows system and got several hits. I tried all of them (installing/configuring samba, using mount -t cifs, etc) and no luck. Since I am unable to get the cifs-utils package to download properly I can't say for sure if that is the problem or if it's somewhere in another setting. But not being able to get the package downloaded is preventing me from continuing my troubleshooting.

    Network connectivity is not an issue because I can download other packages, access the internet, reach out and touch all other systems still on the old network with our Nessus scanner. I've never had any problems downloading/installing anything until this issue. I've Google'd and read and tried many suggestions and none worked. So I figured I would reach out to experienced Linux users to see if anyone could offer advice or a suggestion I haven't tried yet.

  7. #6
    Linux User
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    443
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyesc72 View Post
    I never said the company used Kali across the board. I said I have A Kali box. It is used by our cyber defense office because it has many of the programs they use pre-loaded. And it is the only Linux box on the network so our admins aren't involved. Only our CD people work with it.

    And I said the package wouldn't download for some reason because I didn't have the exact error message in front of me. The Kali box is in a secure room that I cannot access from my workstation in my office due to a network migration we are going through - my desktop system is on the new network and the Kali box is still on the old network. My co-worker's desktop is on the old network too; we're using his system to try and get into the shared folder on the Kali box. I Google'd how to access a Linux shared folder from a Windows system and got several hits. I tried all of them (installing/configuring samba, using mount -t cifs, etc) and no luck. Since I am unable to get the cifs-utils package to download properly I can't say for sure if that is the problem or if it's somewhere in another setting. But not being able to get the package downloaded is preventing me from continuing my troubleshooting.

    Network connectivity is not an issue because I can download other packages, access the internet, reach out and touch all other systems still on the old network with our Nessus scanner. I've never had any problems downloading/installing anything until this issue. I've Google'd and read and tried many suggestions and none worked. So I figured I would reach out to experienced Linux users to see if anyone could offer advice or a suggestion I haven't tried yet.
    do you honestly expect anyone to believe anything here???

    still not making much sense. first kali is used by your 'cyber defense" people and then you say that you only have ONE? does your entire 'cyber defense" team sit in one cubicle? and if you cant download something you obviously have a network issue. so since your 'cyber defense" team (?) has one kali box, who installed it? who knows how to use it? who can diagnose issues? ask them for network help. but you cant...because its in a 'secure room" (which you somehow have access to whenever you want except now). and magically you say your not having network issues, right after you say theres a network migration going on???? really?????????

    kali isnt for daily use; dont mount network folder and dont use it for squat except 'cyber defense". there is your solution. need to transfer something? get a thumb drive.

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by habit View Post
    do you honestly expect anyone to believe anything here???

    still not making much sense. first kali is used by your 'cyber defense" people and then you say that you only have ONE? does your entire 'cyber defense" team sit in one cubicle? and if you cant download something you obviously have a network issue. so since your 'cyber defense" team (?) has one kali box, who installed it? who knows how to use it? who can diagnose issues? ask them for network help. but you cant...because its in a 'secure room" (which you somehow have access to whenever you want except now). and magically you say your not having network issues, right after you say theres a network migration going on???? really?????????

    kali isnt for daily use; dont mount network folder and dont use it for squat except 'cyber defense". there is your solution. need to transfer something? get a thumb drive.
    The network was up long before I got here. I personally don't agree with it either but it wasn't my decision to set it up like this. I would have done things differently but oh well. It is what it is.

    Yes the CD team sits in one office and uses Win7 systems for 90% of daily work. Kali is used to perform security scans and other CD functions and there's 1 Kali box that the CD team shares. The scan files/reports are saved on the Kali but I want to be able to access those files from our desktops without having to physically go to the secure room. The person who installed it is no longer here and I am still a relative newbie to Linux to understand a lot of the "deeper technical issues" that come up from time to time. Google search has returned some info but none of it has worked.

    I can't use a thumb drive because there is a network policy in effect that disables USB ports. I agree a thumb drive is a much easier way to go, and I have suggested a few ways around it but have been shot down on all of them by the higher ups. That's why I tried creating a shared folder on the Kali box that we can access from my co-worker's Win7 system.

    All I am trying to do is understand why I am having the problems I am having, not get into any discussions about why my company chose this IT layout.

  9. #8
    Linux Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,747
    riddle me this:
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyesc72 View Post
    The Kali box is in a secure room that I cannot access from my workstation in my office due to a network migration we are going through


    ...and:
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyesc72 View Post
    Yes the CD team sits in one office and uses Win7 systems for 90% of daily work. Kali is used to perform security scans and other CD functions and there's 1 Kali box that the CD team shares. The scan files/reports are saved on the Kali but I want to be able to access those files from our desktops without having to physically go to the secure room. The person who installed it is no longer here and I am still a relative newbie to Linux to understand a lot of the "deeper technical issues" that come up from time to time.
    that company is f*cked.
    get out while you can!

  10. #9
    Linux User
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    443
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyesc72 View Post
    The network was up long before I got here. I personally don't agree with it either but it wasn't my decision to set it up like this. I would have done things differently but oh well. It is what it is.

    Yes the CD team sits in one office and uses Win7 systems for 90% of daily work. Kali is used to perform security scans and other CD functions and there's 1 Kali box that the CD team shares. The scan files/reports are saved on the Kali but I want to be able to access those files from our desktops without having to physically go to the secure room. The person who installed it is no longer here and I am still a relative newbie to Linux to understand a lot of the "deeper technical issues" that come up from time to time. Google search has returned some info but none of it has worked.
    if your company is so retarded that their using WINDOWS 7 for ANYTHING security related, you need to update your resume and run.

    so the ultra-secret root for your entire 'ultra cyber defense squad" (that one guy who left), with the one machine running the free OS that your ENTIRE TEAM CAN RUN FOR NOTHING is having a network problem. dont know what you cant understand but you said it yourself. you cant install things because of a network issue. you ADMIT your network is getting worked on, and seem LITERALLY AMAZED that during a network conversion, you MAYBE, POSSIBLY could have a network issue? why is this hard to understand?
    I can't use a thumb drive because there is a network policy in effect that disables USB ports. I agree a thumb drive is a much easier way to go, and I have suggested a few ways around it but have been shot down on all of them by the higher ups. That's why I tried creating a shared folder on the Kali box that we can access from my co-worker's Win7 system.

    All I am trying to do is understand why I am having the problems I am having, not get into any discussions about why my company chose this IT layout.
    your having problems because your having network issues. talk to your network admins. and the who thing about 'network policy that disables USB ports" is total crap here. kali doesnt have the ABILITY to have a windows usb policy enforced, period. so your either lying or havent tried it. if this is genuinely for your work, getting the 'higher ups" to approve it should be trivial. getting access to the 'ultra secret room" should also be easy since you want to access the (apparently) only system in this fortified enclosure.

  11. #10
    -->
    Problem solved. It was a permissions issue, not a network issue.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •