Find the answer to your Linux question:
this may be a common problem from what I've read, but I cannot find any remedy for how to get my CD to boot. I downloaded Yoper (yos-i686-2.1.0-4.iso) iso image, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

installation disc won't boot...

this may be a common problem from what I've read, but I cannot find any remedy for how to get my CD to boot. I downloaded Yoper (yos-i686-2.1.0-4.iso) iso image, burned it to disc with K3b in SuSE and then stuck it in my old machine that had Ubuntu (for couple of days I might add...got bored) and rebooted.

Everytime I reboot the box it boots into Ubuntu. I have only one cdrom-I mention this 'cos I think some people have been able to boot with 2 cdroms from other threads-and I have made sure the bios settings were correct etc. Anyone know how to get Yoper on my machine & wiped over boring old Ubuntu?

Luckily I have SuSE on my other machine, so I'm not suffering too much

If you want to completely get rid of Ubuntu, try using the Suse cd or any other linux cd and reformat the drive. Hell, you could even use an old W2K or XP disc to do this for you (just don't install the OS)

Quote Originally Posted by AlexK
    If you want to completely get rid of Ubuntu, try using the Suse cd or any other linux cd and reformat the drive. Hell, you could even use an old W2K or XP disc to do this for you (just don't install the OS)
    Yeh I might stick suse on it, but would really like to try Yoper...

What i meant was that use the SuSE cd to write teh partition table to the hard drive and format the drive. Once that is done, reboot the computer and put in the Yoper disk and install Yoper.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexK
    What i meant was that use the SuSE cd to write teh partition table to the hard drive and format the drive. Once that is done, reboot the computer and put in the Yoper disk and install Yoper.
    Oh cheers! I misunderstood...will do that as soon as I get home from work

Just a note on the Yoper disks, are you sure they dowloaded them ok and you have checked the md5sum of the download with
    Code:
    md5sum /path/to/yoper.iso
    (replace /path/to/yoper.iso with the path to the downloaded iso). Check that the number/letter combenation is the same as the one that is in the md5sum file at the page you downloaded from?

If the md5sum matches have you checked that the cd will boot on any other computer? If they do not make sure you have burnt the iso as an iso image to the cd. Also did you burn the cd at a slow enough speed, I usually use 4x for best results.

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Thanks Dylunio - I haven't yet tried it on another machine, but I figured it was most likely a problem with the burning actually. I was going to try burning it onto cd again..but I will just make a copy of your post & check some of your suggestions at the same time.