Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like many I am trying to give Yoper's speedy Linux a try.My problem lies in a very slow install at the "please wait 5 - 15 min yoper is installing".It ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Install going to slowwww. 100+ minutes

Like many I am trying to give Yoper's speedy Linux a try.My problem lies in a very slow install at the "please wait 5 - 15 min yoper is installing".It took upwards of an hour and a half and I thought the install was done and rebooted before putting in a user name or root password.It booted fine but i was locked out without a password.I tried to reinstall but did not have the time to wait and cancelled the install.

My question is there any reason for Yoper to install so slow?My comp is as follows

Aopen MK79G w/nforce2
    amd 2400xp
    2 x 256mb kingston ddr
    20g maxtor ata133 ide hd
    (previosly had windows ME but i use cdisk wipe it clean)
    artec 16x dvd
    artec 52x cd-rw

I have tried both cd drives.Reset the hd jumper from cs to master.
    tried reiserfs and 4.tried making two partions,(/ and swap)and three(/ , home, swap)

the install will probably go through if I have a few hours to babysit but there must be a reason for the slowness.Could it be a hd bios setting.I believe i am using auto detect

It seems like the cd light actually rarely lights up vs over activity (rereading).I am not a computer guru by any means,but it seems like it is having a hard time accessing the hard drive(known good tried putting Mandrake on it w/success).

My original cd is a magazine cover disc.Rather then run the check media, I downloaded an iso file.I ran the md5 and burned it at 4x.

It still provides the same results.I still cannot use Qt parted and the install still is very slow.After the "yoper is installing please wait 5-15min" the screen will appear blank after a while (30-40min).It doesn't appear the monitor is sleeping the screen is just blank.It also appears to stop trying to install during this time.I hit the back arrow and the screen comes back.As of yet I have not had the full two ours to babysit and try to complete the install.I tried manually setting the hd specs in the bios and setting it to LBA manually as well.Still no luck.I will keep plugging away.It is a spare drive I am using so I can always switch back to my other O/S's.

Right now I am zero'ing out my drive.I read another article on a failed install and some had luck w/that.

Well no luck with the zeroed drive.I started the install and tired qtParted.I found qtparted is working just veerrrrryyyy slow.It took about six minutes to load the harddrive info and about fifteen minutes to make a root and swap on the 20gig drive.

It sure seems to be a harddrive access problem but I don't know what controls that.My nforce2 board uses twin memory contollers with the two matching ddr rams.If this where the problem I would imagine other nforce2 boards users would have posted a problem.

It's probably your ATA drive. I've known a lot of distros to have trouble with mine before. Try running fdisk by hand before you type "yoper" at the command prompt, and then decline to run QTParted.

Just Joined!
    I am willing to try anything.I have used cdisk instead on qtparted but I will try that tomorrow.

This was a follow up post I put on the Yoper site

Well I really stuck with the install this time, six hours but it was no use.
    I guess the install does actually hang after asking for a keyboard type and then where to install lilo.The blue screen changes to black and an hour wait reveals no progress.When I type an arrow key I just get gobbley gook.

Upon reboot I can set up my monitor resolution and type.Then I am faced with the login in screen.As no passwords have been install I am stuck with a read only system.Therefore I can't login!!

I will try to the fdisk tomorrow and let you know the results!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Well I actually got a chance to try it this evening.I zeroed the driveagain, set partitions with fdisk and got the same results.I am pretty much at my wits end.On the same drive I was able to install Mandrake 10.1 in 16 minutes with minimum software!

Just Joined!
    Well it apears it was a conflict with the harddrive.I found an old Quantum 9g laying around.I plugged it in and everything loaded in a snap.I am typing this from my new Yoper!I am only on my lunch break so I won't be able to look it over until tonight.

I am still confused as to why my Maxtor 20g 2F020L0710611 ATA133 drive didn't work.It is less then a year old,it was running Windows ME "flawlessly" (I know don't laugh), it showed no errors while zeroing the drive, and Mandriva flew right on to it!

Well that's what keeps it interesting,I guess we wouldnt mess with this stuff if always was cut and dried

I am going to check my drive once more and post back.

Just Joined!

ME!?

ME is the worst OS Microsoft ever made, it ruins HDs.