Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Well, i have figured out how to mount it and add it to my fstab, but when i unmount it, the "do not disconnect" screen is still on the ipod. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unmounting an Ipod, "Do Not Disconnect" screen wont go away!

Well, i have figured out how to mount it and add it to my fstab, but when i unmount it, the "do not disconnect" screen is still on the ipod. I get no errors or messages when i unmount it from a terminal. Does anyone know if this is normal or how to fix it?

Thanks for all replies.

How long does it stay there?

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Just Joined!
    As long as i leave it pluged into the computer.

Does it go away after? I remember something like this happening when I was trying the built in iPod functionality with Suse.

Bryan
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)

Just Joined!
    well, when i plug it in, the "Do not disconnect screen" comes up like it always does. I mount it and then i can access it and do whatever. When i go to unmount it, i type "umount /mnt/ipod" and it does it with no errors. I also tried "umount /dev/sda2" and that will unmount as well, but the "Do not disconnect screen" will never go away. I waited like 5 minutes and it still just stays there. is there some iPod related program for yoper that you know of? Thanks.

There's GTKPod. I don't think it will solve your problem though but it is worth a shot.

Bryan

This may be no help to you, but just so you know... you're not alone. I've had the same problem with multiple distros using multiple programs with the iPod--always "do not disconnect."

Just Joined!
    Ok, well, i got gtkpod, but it appeares that it does not have any kind of "eject" feature or "unmount" feature. You have to do all that stuff manually. I did find out that there is a command you can type:

# eject /dev/sda

but when i type this in a terminal, it says bash: "eject: command not found". Is there somewhere where i can install this command?
    Thanks.

Just Joined!
    OK, i figured it out. Here is what you have to do:

open synaptic and go to search, then type in eject. At first, it will come up with nothing, but then you click the "reload" buttion(upper right corner) and it will download all the search results from the reposatories. After it is done, you should see the package "eject" under your search. Mark it for install and the install it. Then, the next time your ipod is mounted, dont use the "umount" command, instead just type "# eject /dev/sda" and the "do not disconnect" screen will disappear forever!!!!

Good to know you figured it out.

Bryan

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast