Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Could someone please tell me how to install the latest java (j2re) runtime environment on my system. If not, does anyone know of any website that would tell me how ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Java

Could someone please tell me how to install the latest java (j2re) runtime environment on my system. If not, does anyone know of any website that would tell me how to install it besides the java website? I have so much trouble trying to figure it out myself.

Thank you.

Linux Newbie
    Im sorry I will throw away this generic procedure, but IIRC, Java has a "self-extracting" file to download right? (not RPM), then basically all you do is to extract it somewhere (IIRC, it has a .bin extension, just run it to extract its contents).
    Then in somewhere like your .bashrc, you put the following line
    Code:
    PATH=$PATH:/javaextracteddir/bin
    Where "/javaextracteddir/bin" is where the "javac", "java" and other executables are.

Tell me if it works for you.

Cheers

Just Joined!
    Well, so far so good, but when i type "java -version" into a terminal, it gives me this:

java version "1.4.1-Ycompiled"
    Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.1-Ycompiled-1043268535)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.1-Ycompiled-1043268535, mixed mode)

1.4.1 is the old java version. 1.5.0 is the new one i just downloaded. Is there something else i have to do?(In other words, when i type "java -version" it should say 1.5.0, not 1.4.1)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Ughh nasty. I guess the "Ycompiled" is because of Yoper. Thats why I mostly like to install libraries myself, and not use/install the ones bundled with the OS.

Did you set the path already?
    Either way, whats the output of
    Code:
    echo $PATH
    Also, check out the /usr/local/jdk folder or /opt and see if there is any java executables there (besides the new 5.0, in case you uncompressed it there)
    You can use find command to to this

Cheers

Just Joined!
    Here is the output of "echo $PATH":

/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/jdk/bin:/usr/local/gnome/bin:/usr/local/jre1.5.0_04/bin

I cant find any java excutables anywhere, but my real question is, what am i supposed to do with the folder that the "jre-1_5_0_04-linux-i586.bin" file creates? Am i supposed to unpack this folder somewhere special? Thanks for the replies.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by ksm89
    Here is the output of "echo $PATH":

/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/jdk/bin:/usr/local/gnome/bin:/usr/local/jre1.5.0_04/bin
    There you go. Theres a "/usr/local/jdk/bin" in your path, which I guess points back to the old java installation.
    You dont need to do anything with your uncompressed folder -so far-.
    If I was you, Id delete everything in /usr/local/jdk/ and move the contents of /usr/local/jre1.5.0_04/ in there, however, thats not for the faint of heart and would probably bring some issues with applications using the old jdk (since its bundled with Yoper...). If you are not a newbie, you might try this, however, its kinda risky.
    So try this instead; change my prior suggestion to
    Code:
    PATH=/usr/local/jre1.5.0_04/bin:$PATH
    Now, issue a
    Code:
    java -version
    It should output something about jre 5.0 (or 1.5)

Let me know.

[Edit]
    Im sorry, programmers fault. I thought you were trying to install the "jdk" and not the "jre", so the moving/renaming thing is a little more tricky, just forget that, just try the PATH part (well, the other was meant to make you "hack" your Linux distro if you wanted to, anyway)

Just Joined!
    YES!!!!
    That did it! Now the output of "java -version" is:

java version "1.5.0_04"
    Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_04-b05)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_04-b05, mixed mode, sharing)

Thank You so much!!

Linux Newbie
    Ok, glad to be useful.

Good luck dude.

Just Joined!
    But now another problem...

When i try to install limewire, it says: "Error: Failed Dependencies: j2re >= 1.4.1 is needed by LimeWire-free-4.8.1-0"

What happened? I thought i had j2re installed!?! How do i get limewire installed? Thanks.

Linux Newbie
    First of all, what is the format for the limewire installation program? A .bin? And does it gets extracted to somewhere you know, or you dont know?
    And how do you run it, you just type "limewire"?

Anyway, tell me the output of
    Code:
    whereis limewire
    whereis java

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast