Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there. I have several hard drives on my computer. My primary master drive has W98 installed. I installed Yoper Linux on another drive, which was my secondary slave. When ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

how to uninstall boot screen?

Hi there. I have several hard drives on my computer. My primary master drive has W98 installed. I installed Yoper Linux on another drive, which was my secondary slave. When I installed it, I think I might have selected the option to install LILO on the master boot record.

Anyway, now when I set the computer to boot up to the primary master drive (the W98 drive), I get a Yoper window, and it asks me to choose whether I want to boot to Windows or Linux. I have since uninstalled Yoper from the secondary slave drive and reformatted the drive, but I still get the boot selection window.

If I choose Linux in that boot screen, it boots up partway and then crashes, probably because I uninstalled Linux.

Can someone tell me how I can fix my W98 hard drive so that it only boots to Windows without the Yoper bootup screen? Thanks a lot, and have a great weekend!!

P.S. The reason I uninstalled Linux was because I wanted to try another distro, not because I prefer Windows to Linux.

If you want to use Windows to fix the MBR, follow these directions:

LOOOOOOOOONG URL

However, you don't have to do that if you just want to try new Linux distros. Just install the new distro over the Yoper partition, and put Grub or Lilo on the MBR again. Each new Linux distro will overwrite the MBR and keep giving you the option to boot to Linux or Windows.

::Moderator note- URL tags are your friend. ;) -TM::

If you have a Win98 startup disk.
    Boot with it in the floppy drive.
    Type "fdisk /mbr" at the A: prompt.
    And Lilo will be gone.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!

but is it safe?

Thanks for the advice, guys, but would that erase my hard drive? I have a LOT of important data on that drive, and I don't want to put it at risk. I know that sometimes when you modify partitions and stuff on hard drives, you have to reformat the drive. Thanks again.

Re: but is it safe?

Quote Originally Posted by jashber
    Thanks for the advice, guys, but would that erase my hard drive? I have a LOT of important data on that drive, and I don't want to put it at risk. I know that sometimes when you modify partitions and stuff on hard drives, you have to reformat the drive. Thanks again.
    fdisk /MBR will not touch any of the data on your drive except whatever is in your Master Boot Record (which at the moment is the Yoper launcher).
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants