Find the answer to your Linux question:
okay, I have a computer currently running Ubuntu linux. I wish to remove Ubuntu from the machine, and only use Windows on it. (already on the machine, just in a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

GRUB Loader

okay, I have a computer currently running Ubuntu linux. I wish to remove Ubuntu from the machine, and only use Windows on it. (already on the machine, just in a different partition) so, I thought I could just delete the two partitions the Linux used. but then i realized that the GRUB loader runs in the other partition, the NTFS for Windows XP. so, if I just deleted the partitions, would GRUB cause problems? and if so, how could I remove the GRUB loader?

GRUB won't cause problems, but you'll want to do one of two things first:
    1. Edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and change the default OS to Windows. In fact, you can delete the entries for Ubuntu if you like, and set the countdown timer to 0, so that it just goes straight to Windows without prompting.
    2. Boot with the Windows CD, choose the Rescue option, and do a fixmbr. This is supposed to overwrite GRUB with the Windows boot loader.

It might sound like option 2 is the obvious choice, but I've never had any luck with that one. Option 1, on the other hand, is quite easy and reliable, and will make your computer behave as if Linux was never on it.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

i have tried on many occasions to get the "fixmbr" command to do that exact thing but to no avail. my suggestion is to set Windows as the default OS in grub and set the timer down to 0. much easier

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Korre
    i have tried on many occasions to get the "fixmbr" command to do that exact thing but to no avail. my suggestion is to set Windows as the default OS in grub and set the timer down to 0. much easier
    I am not real sure about this, but I believe fixmbr only works from a recovery console.

If you are able to use a start up disk, even Win 98 ought to work, try:

fdisk /mbr

I have done this before and it worked.

Just Joined!
    I had that same question, thanks for help
    Still, i have a problem because i can't see the partition where linux is installed from windows, so i can't format it! can anyone help?
    Furthermore, can i install another os while having GRUB installed? When i enter Ubuntu install cd while computer is starting, it ignores it completely and goes straight to the GRUB menu?

Linux User
    hi k23oo1,

You have to go to the boot menu and configure,to boot from the Ubuntu cd (it its not already setup)
    now with your Ubuntu cd you can format your partitions.
    you can also install another OS with grub still installed.

thanks

you should have started a new post

windows will not show any partition formatted with ext3 or ext2 coz it doesnt recognize these file systems.... use windows computer management tool in Administrative Tools section to format ur linux partitions...

well !! a lot of people installed more than 5-6 distro in single machine... there is no limit except hardware restrictions.... go ahead... and as 'nature' wrote... change BIOS settings and make CDROM as first boot device...

casper

Just Joined!
    didn't see booting from cd was disabled
    thanks for help