Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone. Before starting my question i want to make clear that i am real novice in Linux. Well today i got a of PCQLinux from PCQUEST. I sucessfully installed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

how to install driver

Hi everyone. Before starting my question i want to make clear that i am real novice in Linux. Well today i got a of PCQLinux from PCQUEST. I sucessfully installed a workstation version of the Linux on my pc. But i have no ideas how can i install the drivers of my hardware, like the modem, sound card or any other pheripherals. Moreover i am unable to use their office application. when i click on the open office word processing program it starts loading but never appears. any help would be very welcome.
    Thanks.

First thing you need to do is make sure your modem, sound card, and other peripherals don't already work. Linux comes with built-in drivers for most common hardware. Once you've determined what doesn't work, list it with all the detail you can here and we can probably help you.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Hi. For use neither the sound card nor the modem is working. Well i use a IC7 board from abit and a pentium 4 3.o ghz cpu. The modem in question in an internal one, MSP2900, 56K PCI modem. thansk

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I'm going to need more information on your motherboard. Post the output of this command (run it from a console):

Code:
    lspci
    That's "LSPCI", all lowercase.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Hi again. Well as you said, i did type lspsci in the konsole and it gave me all the hardware installed. Eventually there was the sound card and also the modem which were both detected. So try I tried to a tried an option which detects the sound card and everything went fine but the sound test fail. I still didn’t heard any sound.
    Secondly I tried to do the internet connection using KPPP( don’t know what this). I querried the modem but its said, ‘Unable to create modem lock file’. I think I will need some rest.
    By the way the couldn’t send you the output from the lspci command because I still don’t know how to mount that floppy device(you may laugh because I am an idiot)
    I am KDE and sometimes GNOME. What the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by preet
    Hi again. Well as you said, i did type lspsci in the konsole and it gave me all the hardware installed. Eventually there was the sound card and also the modem which were both detected. So try I tried to a tried an option which detects the sound card and everything went fine but the sound test fail. I still didnít heard any sound.
    What tool did you use to detect the sound card? Also, did you check your volume settings afterward? Sometimes the sound card starts out muted.

By the way the couldnít send you the output from the lspci command because I still donít know how to mount that floppy device(you may laugh because I am an idiot)
    Try this page:
    http://www.alwanza.com/howto/linux/floppy.html

I am KDE and sometimes GNOME. What the difference.
    The difference is mostly personal preference. Some people prefer the way GNOME works, others prefer KDE. Try both and see which (or neither) appeals to you. There are also lots of other desktops you can try.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    I'm also new to linux. I use Ubuntu 9.10 and my Notebook is Acer Aspire 6930g. And I don't have drivers for the lan conection, for my Intel Wifi link 5100 and for Nvidia Gforce 9600m. I found for the nvidia but I have to be conected to the net. Please help me