Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was wondering why is it that I can't seem to view vidoes or multimedia content on my system? I'm using Firefox 1.5.0.2 and I have no idea where to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Video Problem (SOLVED)

I was wondering why is it that I can't seem to view vidoes or multimedia content on my system? I'm using Firefox 1.5.0.2 and I have no idea where to begin.
    Last edited by Mychal007; 04-24-2006 at 01:09 AM. Reason: (SOLVED)

first you got to be more specific with your question. Is the problem you can't view embedded video within firefox? Or is the problem you can't play any videos because you don't have a player? Or your player (if you have one) can't play certain types of videos. It is really hard to answer questions that are so vague.

WARNING RANT: I don't mean this as a personal dig but it seems lately that there are a lot questions that are either so short we have to take some wild guess as to the problem or the spelling and grammar (example: the spel and grm r so bad) are so bad that it is like trying to translate Mandarian before we can even get to the question. So please people (new and old) let's try to put a little more effort into our posts; especially the original poster. If you want answers to your questions (especially the one's that are asked over and over again...and don't worry I did the same thing last year) then please take the time to write a coherent detailed explanation of the problem. If you are new to linux and don't know exactly what the problem is just try to explain it in the best way you can.

Examples: Good-I have a linksys wireless card model number 123 and it is the G standard. I put it in the pcmcia slot on my computer and nothing happens. I'm really new to linux and don't know what to do. I have googled some possible solutions but don't really understand what's going on. I have also searched this site and saw the how to on wireless and that helped clarify things somewhat but I don't know whether I want something like ndiswrapper or madwifi or if linux supports my card natively. So any advice would be appreciated, especially if someone has this exact card and can tell me their experience.

Bad-I have card for internet it dont wrk. I plug it to computr and nothin hapens. Help!!!!!!!

END RANT:

Sorry this rant wasn't just directed at you but we need information and lot's of it assume (as they said in college) that your reader knows nothing and you must explain everything I would rather have to much information then too little.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Quote Originally Posted by spencerf
    first you got to be more specific with your question. Is the problem you can't view embedded video within firefox? Or is the problem you can't play any videos because you don't have a player? Or your player (if you have one) can't play certain types of videos. It is really hard to answer questions that are so vague.

Examples: Good-I have a linksys wireless card model number 123 and it is the G standard. I put it in the pcmcia slot on my computer and nothing happens. I'm really new to linux and don't know what to do. I have googled some possible solutions but don't really understand what's going on. I have also searched this site and saw the how to on wireless and that helped clarify things somewhat but I don't know whether I want something like ndiswrapper or madwifi or if linux supports my card natively. So any advice would be appreciated, especially if someone has this exact card and can tell me their experience.
    I have no idea what the card model number is nor do I know the standards of it either. My brother gave it to me recently before being deployed so I think it might've slipped his mind to tell me all this good stuff. People come here for Linux help, so it's probably too much of a henderence for someone to tell a new person how they would find this information out because we're supposed to already know right? I figured the problem out and the next time I come across a help issue, I'll be sure to write my essay before asking a dumb question.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I'm sorry that I offended you I really did not intend this. I was new not so long ago so I know what it is like to feel overwhelmed by linux. But it is really helpful for us to help you if your questions come with as much information as you can possibly give us. My examples were just that examples (many people have wireless questions). All I wanted to know is what kind of video problem you were having and also maybe what distro (like suse, fedora, ubuntu etc.) you were using. This information makes it possible for all of us to help you.

Please don't think that people here aren't extremely nice and willing help this is a very newby friendly forum and I sincerely apoligize if I made you feel that it was not.

You do not have to write an essay just enough info for us to not have to say: "Can you please be more specific, I can't really tell what kind of problem you are having."
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL