Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
need some help with DSL. just downloaded it as my first linux o/s. not much computing experience outside of windows and i have a problem trying to use it. whenever ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

help with damn small linux

need some help with DSL. just downloaded it as my first linux o/s. not much computing experience outside of windows and i have a problem trying to use it.
    whenever i give it the information on how to boot it start's to boot, but then says that it cannot rread something. i cannot understand why because i downloaded every file that i could and still nothing. i would be very happy with any help i can get thank's
    p.s i am using a dell inspiron 1300 with a celeron m processor with 256MB of ram so there should'nt be a prob with my spec that i know of.
    please help!!

Linux Newbie
    You only need to download the iso file, burn to cd and boot. If you are trying to give it boot options that dont work then just hit enter at the boot prompt and see how you get on.
    Elive,kanotix-mini,pclinuxos super gamer,xp, sidux

Just Joined!
    thanks for the help, but i have tried that. it just brings me to the command version. i dont have a CLUE how to use this do you have any other ideas. i have d/l the ISO file and the 5 way and additional module files. i then made the cd bootable using sonic. i used the fil boot-0.8.0 to do this so any more ideas would be greatley appreciated thank's!!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    If you mean you get to a command line then what you need to do is type startx or if that fails then xsetup.sh, startx.

Just Joined!

thanks for all the help so far but........

thank's for all your help but i still have problems. i cannot get dsl to load the x window setup when i type either: start x or xsetup.sh, when it loads into the computer and the text version of the distro starts up it says that it cannot find the knoppix file system and that it is dropping me to a limited shell. then when i put in more commands it gives me the message: kernel panic: cant mount FS 103.
    please PLEASE help or i might have to give up all hope!

Linux Newbie
    Maybe its the wrong iso image for your pc. See here about getting the right image - if you can't boot from isolinix try syslinux version.

Linux Newbie
    Maybe its the wrong iso image for your pc. See here about http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page getting the right image - if you can't boot from isolinix try syslinux version.

Linux Newbie
    Maybe its the wrong iso image for your pc. See here about http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page getting the right image - if you can't boot from isolinix try syslinux version.

Just Joined!
    when i got the limited shell, it was because i was booting with a floppy and it didn't get the cdrom spinning up in time.

so how exactly are you booting? floppy and cd? cd only as a livecd boot? floppy only? there's a lot of questions i could ask, need more info....

Just Joined!
    i just reread your post, it sounds very much like you are booting from floppy and that it is looking for the cd, but for some reason, it can't find it, i just got that error about an hour ago on an older pc, hth.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast