Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by howard hannon Since I am new to this linux, seemed only fitting to slap together an old bones pc to give it a whirl..... I do want ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by howard hannon
    Since I am new to this linux, seemed only fitting to slap together an old bones pc to give it a whirl..... I do want to do dual boot but later down the road.... Gonna get my feet wet first. I tried the ubuntu live cd I downloaded & burned to disk... Pretty cool. Only problem I had though was rebooting the system, there was no option for that.
    Did you look in the "System" menu in your toolbar?

I went to the ubuntu web site but the links there came up no page etc... The link you gave me was acvtive.
    So you're saying this website (http://www.ubuntu.com/) doesn't work for you? That's odd. At least the link I sent you worked.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

worked fine

Na , the link you gave me worked fine. The ones I tried did not. Thanks.... I think the problems I had with shutting down was my error .... learning curve & all.... was running on live cd. I did explore all the options etc, must have missed it... thanks

Just Joined!

linux xp 2006

I had a chat with the distributor of the linux xp pro 2006 (the one in Texas) ... He knows about the 99 boot demo & asured me they fixed the problem & that there was an error in the making of the disks & guarantees it to be full & operational... Will have to wait to see. The distributor is huge & not just some guy that is selling knock offs.... funny, the guy selling in Canada now made his ratings private... Ebay must have gotten on him...lol

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by howard hannon
    I had a chat with the distributor of the linux xp pro 2006 (the one in Texas) ... He knows about the 99 boot demo & asured me they fixed the problem & that there was an error in the making of the disks & guarantees it to be full & operational... Will have to wait to see.
    Yeah, maybe the OS keeps on working even when you've passed the 99 boots.
    oz

Arrow

I must admit I'm lost about Linux xp 2006 thing!

You can't beet a mainstream op-sys like Mandriva (2006 latest), Fedora Core (5 latest) or Suse (latest 10 i think).
    Any other is limiting your scope!
    Can you burn video DVDs! Can you run Eclipse! Could your obscure Linux distro support new hardware - e.g. TV Cards etc etc.
    By all means try these things out - its good way to learn to muck about;
    but I suggest to learn Linux choose a mainstream distro to start.
    Free as in beer! Means the 'licence is free - you get free updates and
    free access to source.
    A retailer is quite within his rights to charge you $mega whatever he likes for the CD, manual and Support.
    But the original source files MUST be free to access under the GPL licence, which must include the licence terms -copyrights etc.

Install WindowsXP FIRST on a clean NTFS partition, leave at least
    10GB unformatted on your hard-drive for Linux (this is very much a minimum these days and I would suggest 30 -40GB to be more realistic, especially if you are going to download ISO's etc.
    When you have got a working WindowsXP, then install Linux distro of choice.
    Dual boot Ok either through Grub or LiLo.
    NEVER install Linux first then WindowsXP- as Windows will nuke your bootloader for sure.

Rememeber DOS commands are like c>Copy or c>cOpy
    case-insensitive,
    however bash is like,
    [root$] cp not the same as [root$]CP.

just thaught i'd mention that.
    ----------------------------------
    And someone will say 'WotaLotaRot'!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2