Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I am new to linux. I recently purchased a copy of linux xp pro 2006, I found it was the fedora core. I was told there was no keys, activations ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question linux (fedora)xp 2006 activation?

I am new to linux. I recently purchased a copy of linux xp pro 2006, I found it was the fedora core. I was told there was no keys, activations required, When installed it gave me 99 boots only untill activated. How do I go at getting it activated?
    also I was creating a user account & did fine but when I went to use the account it was blocked for use by the root.... I was trying to use the screen savers etc but would not let me due to root running. should I reinstall the os & try again? I tried the dual boot that the system allows but would not let me install on my hard drive w/ win xp.... I installed on another pc I have to practice & put linux on it.... then the problem occured.... I learned dos & know through the training help with linux that there is diferences in the command lines.... not giving up though..... want to dump microsoft & all the bull & will continue on!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by howard hannon
    I am new to linux. I recently purchased a copy of linux xp pro 2006, I found it was the fedora core. I was told there was no keys, activations required, When installed it gave me 99 boots only untill activated. How do I go at getting it activated?
    The only Linux XP 2006 I knwo about is this one:
    http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=linuxxp

The 2006 edition is NOT free, though you can have a free trial.

You purchased it? Then I guess they should give you support on how to activate it.

Most Linux distributions are free, you won't get anything better/worst by paying for it. Commercial Linux distributions charge money because they give support for their products.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

oz
    forum.guy
    I read somewhere that it's through the control panel > activation.
    oz

if you want to try out some free linux distro's which there are many many many of them check of distrowatch look on the right side of your screen and you'll see some of the most popular one's.

many people find the "main" one's a good starting point such as suse, ubuntu, fedora core, and mandrake although all of the distro's are unique in their own way and only by trying out at least 3 or 4 will you truly find the one that you like and by installing and trying out a couple you really begin to learn linux as well.

my opinion would be never to pay for linux for personal use it only makes since to me for something like red hat enterprise linux in which you are using it as a server but still many people use other distro's for servers too.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Just Joined!

Red face IC...xp 2006 demo.....

I bought this copy from ebay for 99c + shipping... they also shipped a copy of ubunto... probably is the free os.... I will contact the seller & inform him of this... the xp os looked great, too bad it's a demo....I downloaded a copy iso from torrent finder but probably is also the demo.... Thanks... I will install the ubuntu & try that one....

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Trial & error is one of the great gifts we can have...never give up since it can be the lifeline to success

Just Joined!

lic distribution

Yes it is true for lic distributions to be copied & resold. I did read that rule. But for them to sell it on ebay they must give full descriptions of items specially os. I placed a complaint with ebay on the matter & will get a reply soon from them. I do have a supposid full xp os pro coming from another seller in Texas & will see if it is for real.Still only 99c + shipping. I did send them also a note of description of item they are selling. At least I did some homework on linux long before I got it. I really want to dump Microsoft xp & all the bull!!!! right now I am still using it. Thanks for the input!!!!!

my bad that just seems counter intuitive to me but thanks for the info sorry if I misinformed anyone.

edit: I deleted my above post with inaccurate information
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Just Joined!

Talking question?

Well before I fry a hard drive...lol... The ubuntu os, Do I have to do any special configurations prior to installing it besides partitions? Or is it kind of cut & dry as far as install like the xp os? Do you have a quick link for the pdf format of learning instructions for beginners for ubuntu so I can download it? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by howard hannon
    Well before I fry a hard drive...lol... The ubuntu os, Do I have to do any special configurations prior to installing it besides partitions? Or is it kind of cut & dry as far as install like the xp os? Do you have a quick link for the pdf format of learning instructions for beginners for ubuntu so I can download it? thanks
    If you're just going to wipe the whole drive and install Ubuntu, you don't even have to do anything to your paritions beforehand; the installer will do all that for you. If however you want to dual-boot with a MS Windows system, you'll want to create a partition of empty space on your drive and point Ubuntu to that during the install.

As for a manual of sorts... the only thing that comes to mind is The Ubuntu Guide, here:

http://ubuntuguide.org/
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

got it

Since I am new to this linux, seemed only fitting to slap together an old bones pc to give it a whirl..... I do want to do dual boot but later down the road.... Gonna get my feet wet first. I tried the ubuntu live cd I downloaded & burned to disk... Pretty cool. Only problem I had though was rebooting the system, there was no option for that. Had to do a hard shut down but no harm done. Thanks for the link... I went to the ubuntu web site but the links there came up no page etc... The link you gave me was acvtive. Thanks, gonna try other distro's too just so I have some knowledge of the way they are set up & the similarities & diferences in them. I know ms Dos very well & this language is totally new to me. Have a few probs with the sound card & no real video properties to set. Those are the learning points I will have to test in time. All in all, Linux in general so far is going to be fun to learn & possible in time I can offer pc's with Linux to my customers: down with Microsoft....lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast