Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have been trying to compile kernel for my HP zv6000 with AMD Athlon64 CPU.I go all the way but during compilation there is a choice where one has to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Compiling Gentoo kernel for Laptop with AMD64

I have been trying to compile kernel for my HP zv6000 with AMD Athlon64 CPU.I go all the way but during compilation there is a choice where one has to choose processor x86_64 or AMD opteron/Athlon64. I am not sure which is is correct choice and why at the end I am unable to copy it to my boot sector. Any help will be appreciated.

Lost in Compilation

what kernel are you trying to compile. In mine which is 2.6.16-gentoo-r4 there is only one option which is the athlon/opteron/k8 one. So I would choose that.

You probably can't copy it to /boot because you set /boot up as a seperate partition and if you followed the handbook you also probably have noauto in your fstab which means that /boot will not be automatically mounted at startup. So just

mount /boot ---then try it
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by spencerf
    what kernel are you trying to compile. In mine which is 2.6.16-gentoo-r4 there is only one option which is the athlon/opteron/k8 one. So I would choose that.

You probably can't copy it to /boot because you set /boot up as a seperate partition and if you followed the handbook you also probably have noauto in your fstab which means that /boot will not be automatically mounted at startup. So just

mount /boot ---then try it
    Thanks Spence,

I am using 2.6.15 r-4, that is what I get when I follow the installation document from Gentoo. I am also confused about the their instruction of partitioning the hard disk.

I have an 80 GB disk on which there is a primary partition hda1 (35 GB) and holds Windows XP. I would like to load Gentoo and save some space for "just in case" future use. So I created an extended partition hda2 (20 GB). The extended partition hda2 I subdivided in to three logical partition, hda5 for boot sector and GRUB, hda6 for SWAP and hda7 for Root. Instructions document from Gentoo suggests all three partitions, Boot, Swap and Root, for Gentoo should be in three primary sectors. If I follow their instruction, I have used up option of having 4 primary partition on my hard disk. But I do not want to do so. Anyone thinks that my plan would work?

Please help!!

I don't know what you mean by I use up the option to have four primary partitions.

This is the partition scheme I would recommend.

/dev/hda1 ---already used
    /dev/hda2 +32M /boot
    /dev/hda3 +512M swap
    /dev/hda4 spit into logical for /dev/hda5 + 6
    /dev/hda5 20 gig / logical
    /dev/hda6 rest or your space no mount point (save for future distro or storage) logical

if in the future you want anothe distro you can reuse both your /boot and your swap and just put your / mount point on /dev/hda6
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Just Joined!

Compiling Gentoo kernel for Laptop with AMD64

Thank you Sir.

Just Joined!

Compile error

After compiling and

# cp arch/x86_64/boot/bzImage /boot/<kernel-version>

I have to find with:

# find /lib/modules/<kernel version>/ -type f -iname '*.o' -or -iname '*.ko'

at this point I get the error message,:

Find: Path must proceed expression
    Usage find [path] expression

I am stuck here, please help.

you have to enter your actual kernel version not the words kernel version. but it doesn't really matter you can skip this step as its not really that important.

if you want certain modules to autoload later you can still do it.

edit:

you can find out your exact kernel version by typing

uname -a

though this may not work since you haven't rebooted and aren't actually using that kernel yet but you should know your kernel version by going to

cd /usr/src

then

ls -a

you should only have one version which will be symlinked to /usr/src/linux