Find the answer to your Linux question:
i have been using Linspire for about 8 months now and every "hardcore" linux person keeps tellin me it stinks. Why do people have to bash it? I like the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cool I like Linspire, So What?

i have been using Linspire for about 8 months now and every "hardcore" linux person keeps tellin me it stinks. Why do people have to bash it? I like the whole CNR thing due to the ease of installin programs i can barely understand how to install a program on Linux yet thats the main reason behind my choosing Linspire as my first Distro. Later on as i learn more i may upgrade to a different Distro. if anyone has any suggestions on Distros that are fairly easy to use, feel free to post them and ill check them out.

This is where someone usually will tell you to go for Xandros which is just as bad (oh boy, I just upset someone)

The reason Linspire is easy to use for you is probably because your use to using Windows and it's programs. No one is or should be expecting you to just know how to use Linux. It's something that happens over time through learning and using the system.

I've used the LinSpire live CD and it's very impressive in the sense that it just has a comfortable desktop environment right off the bat. This is easily done with any distro if you are familiar enough with Linux to know how to configure it that way. LinSpire fills a niche for brand new Linux users who need to ease into their new OS with familiarity. Package management with most distros is very easy these days, and that includes Slackware. Linux is all about choice and serving one's individual needs. LinSpire does that in spades in my book, and I don't blame any new user for choosing it. After all, SuSE charges for its distro as does RedHat Enterprise. Linspire is also coming out with a "free" version called "FreeSpire" sometime this Summer.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    Yes im very used to windows and wanted a relatively easy n slow learning curve as my primary use for my compture is at college. Im learning stuff everyday on the ins and outs of linux.

Like many of you I got very sick of Microsoft's underhanded tactics and all the holes in that OS's. I feel very comfortable on Linspire and am getting more n more comfortable with things as the days go by.

anyways im still open to suggestions on easy to use linux distros that i might wanna give a whirl.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfx78
    i have been using Linspire for about 8 months now and every "hardcore" linux person keeps tellin me it stinks. Why do people have to bash it? I like the whole CNR thing due to the ease of installin programs i can barely understand how to install a program on Linux yet thats the main reason behind my choosing Linspire as my first Distro. Later on as i learn more i may upgrade to a different Distro. if anyone has any suggestions on Distros that are fairly easy to use, feel free to post them and ill check them out.

why do people bash other OSes and distros? i think thats a dumb thing to do they all have there flaws

As for a user friendly distro try fedora

There will always be fans of one distribution or another, and there will always be fans that take that fandom too far and decide to bash "that OTHER distro". Take them with a grain of salt. Absolutely no one but you can tell you what's the best/easiest/most stable/most sexy/most full of fiber distribution for you. My suggestion: use Linspire to get your feet wet and as soon as you feel like it's not letting you do something you want to do (such as change the desktop environment for instance), then try out some other distributions. You might come back to Linspire, and you might find some other wonderful OS that does everything you want. If you need help finding out which distros are out there to try, read this:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...e-posting.html

If you need just general "I'm new to Linux" help, read this:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...ead-first.html
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants