Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, so i installed Kanotix successfully, but i can not access the internet through my wireless card or a direct ethernet connection. Also I think there is something wrong with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

After Installation of Kanotix

Ok, so i installed Kanotix successfully, but i can not access the internet through my wireless card or a direct ethernet connection. Also I think there is something wrong with the way it reads my soundcard. This page has the full specs of my toshiba laptop:

http://shopper-zdnet.com.com/4014-31...31518001&cip=1

Btw i would also like to install ATI radeon drivers. Is there a tutorial somewhere and also is there any problems that occur if i were to do this?

Ok, here's how I configured my wireless card in Kanotix (note that I'm writing this mostly from memory, it's been about a year since I last did this, also the version of Kanotix was a bit older, possibly some things have changed):

1. Get the windows drivers for your wlan card, save them somewhere in your home folder. On the Ndiswrapper site, it says not to use the drivers on your CD but to get them from the 'net.

2. Go to the kanotix menu (should be next to the main menu, look for the fish logo), find networking. Select wireless networking (I think, it could also say something like ndiswrapper...). It should launch a gui which asks for your windows driver (I think it's an .inf file). Anyways, I had to try a couple of different driver files before I found the right one, kind of hit-and-miss. Hopefully, it should sooner or later say something along the lines of 'driver loaded'.

3. Now I can't remember if it will start the configuration, I think it should. If not, look through the menu, see if there's anything about wlan configuration. It will ask you for things like the ssid, the channel number, etc. Enter the info for your wireless, if you're not sure about anything, leave it blank.

Hopefully, it will now be working. If it is, you'll have to load the module, to do this, type 'modprobe ndiswrapper' as root (you'll have to do pretty much everything as root) into the command line.

Kanotix has ndiswrapper installed, so if what I've written above doesn't work, check HERE.

EDIT:
    Concerning the sound card: try running alsa-conf (or is it alsaconf?).
    Concerning the ATI Radeon card: why? I've never had the need for 3D graphics on linux, especially since I also have a Radeon card, which can be a bit**h to setup. But if you insist, there's tons of threads on this topic on this (and many other) forum. Look in the debian forum (kanotix is based on knoppix, which is in turn based on debian), and use the search button.

Just Joined!
    Any idea whats wrong when im direct connecting? It would be useful to be able to search the web on there instead of havning to re-boot windows to use the internet.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    What do you mean? Connecting via your lan card? Depends, if Kanotix recognises the card (which it should) and if you are using DHCP (which you might be), it should work out-of-the-box. What does ifconfig tell you?

Just Joined!
    yes im using DHCP. It seems like im connected but when i go to network settings. It says detecting settings. Then i look and they are both disabled. So i enable the the direct connect one and set it to dhcp. I apply it. When i go back its not enabled.

Linux Newbie
    Once you get on the internet run install-radeon-debian.sh . Best place for kanotix problems http://kanotix.com/index.html - kano himself answers the odd query on the forums and there are inbuilt scripts for setting up most things easily.
    Elive,kanotix-mini,pclinuxos super gamer,xp, sidux