Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
Hi, please help me. I beg of you. 1.) On Windows you can see and browse files through Windows Explorer, on Xandros there is a File Manager that looks very ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1
    Just Joined! WebThingy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    69

    Newbie's gotta little list going...


    Hi, please help me. I beg of you.

    1.) On Windows you can see and browse files through Windows Explorer, on Xandros there is a File Manager that looks very similar.
    I see everything listed on the left in the file manager, my linux, my cd-rw, my dvd-rw drive, etc..... but no C: and D: drives. Did I screw up the install?

    2.) I cannot figure out where I am suppossed to put files. All these tutorials tell you everything to do with a file to make it run except where to put the file first. This would be useful info for a newbie.

    3.) When I type commands into the command line, nothing happens.

    4.) My Audigy ZS sound card isn't working, no sound. I did what it said on the FAQ at Xandros website and it didn't work.

    I'm sure I'll have more later, right now I'm still trying to get an internet connection, sigh.

  2. #2
    Linux Guru antidrugue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    3,211
    Quote Originally Posted by WebThingy
    1.) On Windows you can see and browse files through Windows Explorer, on Xandros there is a File Manager that looks very similar.
    I see everything listed on the left in the file manager, my linux, my cd-rw, my dvd-rw drive, etc..... but no C: and D: drives. Did I screw up the install?
    No drive letters in Linux. A file manager? If you use KDE, then Konqueror is good, for Gnome Nautilus does it. Both are installed by default depending on your graphical environment.

    Quote Originally Posted by WebThingy
    2.) I cannot figure out where I am suppossed to put files. All these tutorials tell you everything to do with a file to make it run except where to put the file first. This would be useful info for a newbie.
    Wherever you like, you should have a /home/yourself directory.

    Quote Originally Posted by WebThingy
    3.) When I type commands into the command line, nothing happens.
    Be more specific about that. Try this tutorial:
    http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Teaching/Unix/

    Quote Originally Posted by WebThingy
    4.) My Audigy ZS sound card isn't working, no sound. I did what it said on the FAQ at Xandros website and it didn't work.
    Please post the output of
    Code:
    lspci | grep -i audio
    Quote Originally Posted by WebThingy
    I'm still trying to get an internet connection, sigh.
    Dapper Dan is on it.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

    -Bruce Lee

  3. #3
    Just Joined! WebThingy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    69
    Hey, thanks for the quick reply!

    1.) No drive letters in Linux? But it shows drive letters in the file manager screen shots for Xandros. I'm confused. This thing has a file manager with it so do I still need Knoqueror?

    2.) I can put files in any folder? Where do they install to then? I'm still used to the Program Files folder with Windows. Yeah, there is a home directory.

    3.) Nothing happened when I typed in commands,I hit run and the box disappeared. That's it. I just looked in the options tab though and clicked on "Run in terminal window" and now it shows some text...

    4.) ....which was when I ran lspci | grep -i audio and it shows this:

    0000:00: lf.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC
    '97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
    0000:02:0c.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy (rev 04)

    5.) Dapper Dan is the man!

    Thnaks again for helping the newbie with all the dumb questions

  4. #4
    Linux Guru antidrugue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    3,211
    Quote Originally Posted by WebThingy
    1.) No drive letters in Linux? But it shows drive letters in the file manager screen shots for Xandros. I'm confused. This thing has a file manager with it so do I still need Knoqueror?
    Are you using KDE? Or Gnome? I don't know much about file managers though, I don't use them myself.


    Quote Originally Posted by WebThingy
    2.) I can put files in any folder? Where do they install to then? I'm still used to the Program Files folder with Windows. Yeah, there is a home directory.
    To install software you can use a program called "synaptic". It should be there somewhere. Programs will install themselves where they must be and automatically set up the shortcuts.

    Quote Originally Posted by WebThingy
    3.) Nothing happened when I typed in commands,I hit run and the box disappeared. That's it. I just looked in the options tab though and clicked on "Run in terminal window" and now it shows some text...
    Did you take a look at the Unix tutorial for which I gave a link in my previous post? To type "commands" you can use a console (Konsole, Terminal, etc.).

    Quote Originally Posted by WebThingy
    4.) ....which was when I ran lspci | grep -i audio and it shows this:

    0000:00: lf.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC
    '97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
    0000:02:0c.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy (rev 04)
    So you have onboard sound + a sound card. You should either disable the onboard one in the BIOS (my suggestion) or take out the PCI one. It won't work until you do something about it.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

    -Bruce Lee

  5. #5
    Just Joined! WebThingy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    69
    heh, this number system works well, lol

    1.) I'm guessing it's KDE, I saw reference to it being the default.

    2.) Synaptic, got it. Thanx!

    3.) It's got a console built in, I just found it. Have no clue what it's telling me, like what you had me show in that last post about the Audigy card, greek to me.

    4.) Ok, I'll go into the BIOS and do that...how do I get into the BIOS on Linux?

    5.) On Windows, both the Audigy Card and My Video Card had softwares that came with them, can I use those softwares on Linux? They were cool and had lots of options I liked. The discs don't say anything about what operating systems they run on.

    Thanks again for helping me

  6. #6
    Linux Guru antidrugue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    3,211
    Quote Originally Posted by WebThingy
    4.) Ok, I'll go into the BIOS and do that...how do I get into the BIOS on Linux?
    The BIOS is OS independant, it is a Basic Input/Output System that runs your computer when you first power it on. It can help you setup system-wide parameters like disabling/enabling hardware, setting CPU speed, etc.

    You can access it buy pressing either DEL, or F1, or F2 whitin the first seconds you power on your computer. More here:
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

    Quote Originally Posted by WebThingy
    5.) On Windows, both the Audigy Card and My Video Card had softwares that came with them, can I use those softwares on Linux? They were cool and had lots of options I liked. The discs don't say anything about what operating systems they run on.
    It doubt it. I'm 99% all your hardware will work perfectly on Linux, but some of it won't work using the manufacturers provided drivers.

    You can start threads specifically for your audio card and your video card. That way you will get help faster. When starting a thread about hardware, please provide the necessary output from
    Code:
    lspci
    There is a learning curve in using Linux, but at the end you get somewhere.

    Good luck!
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

    -Bruce Lee

  7. #7
    Just Joined! WebThingy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    69
    Ahh, ok. I meant what button do I push to enter the BIOS, but I just hit delete and it went in as usual.

    Ok, I disabled the onboard sound and ethernet, but still no luck.

    Bummer, the Audigy card had some awesome software included.

    Ok, I'll ask about the sound card and video card in other forums/posts then. I wish I could get my dual monitors to work.

    I really wish I could tell which is my c drive and which is my d drive so I could put files on the d drive. I don't even know how to tell where they are on here. Most of the manual is useless if you don't know enough about Linux to understand it.

    Sigh, yeah, major learning curve. If I could make progress with just one of these issues I'd feel a lot better about things. But I won't give up yet, gotta give this a chance, and I'm sure me being an ID-10-T user isn't helping matters, lol

  8. #8
    Linux Guru antidrugue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    3,211
    Quote Originally Posted by WebThingy
    Ok, I disabled the onboard sound and ethernet, but still no luck.
    Disabling onboard ethernet is not necessary, it doesn't conflict with your wireless card.


    Quote Originally Posted by WebThingy
    Bummer, the Audigy card had some awesome software included.

    Ok, I'll ask about the sound card and video card in other forums/posts then. I wish I could get my dual monitors to work.
    You'll find very good sound software in Linux too. You'll get your video cards, sound card, and dual-monitors to work in no time I'm sure.

    Quote Originally Posted by WebThingy
    I really wish I could tell which is my c drive and which is my d drive so I could put files on the d drive. I don't even know how to tell where they are on here. Most of the manual is useless if you don't know enough about Linux to understand it.
    The command
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    will tell how many drives you have, and how they are partitioned.

    Plus, the output of
    Code:
    cat /etc/fstab
    Will tell you where they effectively are located in your directories tree.

    You can post those and I'll help you figure it out.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

    -Bruce Lee

  9. #9
    Linux Guru techieMoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    9,496
    Quote Originally Posted by antidrugue
    Disabling onboard ethernet is not necessary, it doesn't conflict with your wireless card.
    Actually, in Xandros it does. I recently set up a Linksys WMP54g PCI wireless card on my brother's Xandros Deluxe 3.0 box. Xandros would not use the wireless card until we disabled the onboard ethernet. It would detect the card and let me install the drivers for it (through NDIS Wrapper), but it would not use it until we disabled the onboard network device.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

  10. #10
    Linux Guru antidrugue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    3,211
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    It would detect the card and let me install the drivers for it (through NDIS Wrapper), but it would not use it until we disabled the onboard network device.
    Thanks for the clarification. I no doubt believe that "user friendly" distros like Xandros are sometimes much less flexible about those kind of things.

    Never tryed Xandros myself, but I did read your review of "Xandros 3.0 Deluxe".
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

    -Bruce Lee

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •