Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Hi, all, thanks for the help. The guy who agreed to trade me the older Linux machine he would set up for the new one insists on doing the trade ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Hi, all, thanks for the help.
    The guy who agreed to trade me the older Linux machine he would set up for the new one insists on doing the trade 'instantly.' I offered to give him cash money ($200) to hold (just for 1-2 days, then trade the cash for the new PC), just while I make sure the new system is stable for me, but he won't even do that. That made me anxious. (People who don't trust other people that way are the ones who rip us off, most of the time.)

So the new plan is I'll install Linux on this new machine, maybe as a dual boot. (This means partitioning the 160g drive, since it's ATA and my other hd's are all IDE.) If I can get Linux working well, I'll then either trade him for the older machine, or get an older used machine myself, get that running Linux too, and then sell this one.

This machine is too powerful and big for me to waste it just visiting a few web sites and playing chess (with human opponents!), and watching an occasional DVD. Someone who could really use its capabilities should have it. The only software that came with it is 'Nero,' so I guess it's for high-powered graphics users or film people; I haven't even used Nero myself, since the machine had PowerDVD installed already.

I like the idea of buying the router, but the last time I visited the Goodwill outlet, they didn't have one. So, I read the first 4 modules of the Linux course and I'm ready to get started. Might as well start with Mephis since it's already on this CD I have. I'll let y'all know how it goes....

Just Joined!
    P.S. I'm not bored -- when I am able to sit (just for short periods), I paint (watercolor). When I can't sit, I browse art sites, or play chess, or watch a DVD, or read a book, or listen to NPR (radio). Never bored -- and not enough hours in the day, just like able-bodied people.

Quote Originally Posted by techwatcher
    So the new plan is I'll install Linux on this new machine, maybe as a dual boot. (This means partitioning the 160g drive, since it's ATA and my other hd's are all IDE.)
    Yop, do that. I'm sure getting Linux to run on that machine won't be that difficult. Try a recent & easy distro though, like Ubuntu 6.06, or others if you like.

This machine is too powerful and big for me to waste it just visiting a few web sites and playing chess (with human opponents!), and watching an occasional DVD.
    I don't see the problem here. Things are moving fast, you will need that power before you know.

You can use simple tools to throtle your CPU speed if you like. For example, the computer I am on right now has an el-cheapo Celeron D 2.66 (model 330) and I can change the speed from 333mhz to 2.66ghz automatically (on-demand P4 clock modulation). The kernel adjust the speed of the CPU according to the needed "juice".

Are there are so much power-management tools like that can help keep your computer silent & cool, as well as reducing energy cost.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    Mepis should a breeze to install on any new system, it detected everything in my new computer when i last installed it except my Alcatel USB Modem, and everyone know they are a ***** in linux hehe

Hope it goes well and good luck, be ure to post back and let us know how you got on

Just Joined!
    Um, okay, I read the linuxsurvival modules (all 4), took the quizzes (and took notes, which I can print out!). What else do I need to know before I try an install of MEPIS? (Figure I'll start with this, since I have it.) More importantly, where can I learn whatever else I should know?

Many of the DOS file/directory structure commands I already use are similar to the Linux commands, for setting up directories and so on. The file security stuff (chmod) is already familiar to me because I designed & ran some Web sites. I'm glad I was able to learn about man (what a useful command!), which I'm sure will be my favorite, but for example:

How do I know if the firewall is up and running?
    Should I leave the cable modem plugged into the USB port when I try to install?

I know the 160g hd in this PC is ATA. Don't know if it's FAT32, or if that's what I should use on partitions (don't even know if I have options for how to format partitions!). So if MEPIS offers to partition the hd -- what should I say?

I'm willing to spend another 1-2 days just reading and learning commands before I try to install, if someone will point me somewhere. (I got grep, understand pipe -- though because of my APL experience, I have to guard against the left-to-right structure, or 'Reverse Polish Notation') Want more reading, please.

Yes, you should. But I would look more closely about what others did to get that modem to work. USB modems and Linux don't go well together generally.

I know the 160g hd in this PC is ATA. Don't know if it's FAT32, or if that's what I should use on partitions (don't even know if I have options for how to format partitions!). So if MEPIS offers to partition the hd -- what should I say?
    No problem there. Mepis will take good care of the resizing/repartition/formating.

Good luck. Remember, the best way to learn Linux is to try it. You'll have some difficulties at first, but I'm sure you'll get it up and running in no time.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    Um, okay, I read the linuxsurvival modules (all 4), took the quizzes (and took notes, which I can print out!). What else do I need to know before I try an install of MEPIS? (Figure I'll start with this, since I have it.) More importantly, where can I learn whatever else I should know?

Many of the DOS file/directory structure commands I already use are similar to the Linux commands, for setting up directories and so on. The file security stuff (chmod) is already familiar to me because I designed & ran some Web sites. I'm glad I was able to learn about man (what a useful command!), which I'm sure will be my favorite, but for example:

I'm willing to spend another 1-2 days just reading and learning commands before I try to install, if someone will point me somewhere. (I got grep, understand pipe -- though because of my APL experience, I have to guard against the left-to-right structure, or 'Reverse Polish Notation') Want more reading, please.
    If you just want linux installed and not dual booting there is an option in the mepis OS centre for it to take over the whole Hard Drive, it partitions the drive for you etting swap etc by the click of a button. Mepis is really easy.

You should take a look at HP Learning centre they have free courses for linux, Linux 101, 201 and 301 they are for adminstrating linux systems. Search google for hp learning centre

Just Joined!
    Thanks, Meads. Not ready to jump in with both feet quite yet -- particularly as I see (in the Networking area) many apparently unanswered threads here, from posters with serious networking problems when installing Linux.

Today I tried running MEPIS (from CD) with cable modem connected (USB) and online, but Linux did not find a connection. I suppose I should try running the modem via Ethernet, but I haven't even done that with Windows XP yet. Better to wait until I at least have a router, I guess.

Also I took a look at that HP area; looks like they are targeting business folk, primarily. If they have openings, though, I might try 'registering.' Perhaps I'll just use the MEPIS CD for awhile and the man command, following links or related topics or going wherever that takes me. Still lots to learn... thought MEPIS used GRUB, but the 'drives' were called things like hda, not hd0, so I guess not?

I suppose I should try running the modem via Ethernet
    Doing that will virtually solve any potential networking issue. So, good idea.

-Bruce Lee

Linux Newbie
    kahoona, I'd say that was funny, but suppose some real noob (to computing as a whole) comes by and reads that? And doesn't get the joke?
    It's not a joke, that is just the way it is.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast