Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have Ubuntu installed on my currect system but I'm running into numerous issues with hardware compatability. I tried SimplyMepis Live CD and it recognized everything and ran well. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Gnome on Mepis

I have Ubuntu installed on my currect system but I'm running into numerous issues with hardware compatability. I tried SimplyMepis Live CD and it recognized everything and ran well. I am tired of trying to get Ubuntu working on my newly upgraded system (the hardware is a little data; no sata, etc.) The only issue is I have used Gnome for years now and prefer it over KDE. I used KDE in the beginning but not only am I used to it, my wife prefers gnome. Is there a version I can download/purchase that will allow me to install gnome during the install process? If not, are many users running into problems with apt installing gnome?

Last quick question. Does Mepis do a good job of recognizing gamepads, memory card readers, digital cameras?

Thanks for the help. If I can get Mepis working with gnome without having to patch things up, I'll be a new Mepis user for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by bonedaddy
    I have Ubuntu installed on my currect system but I'm running into numerous issues with hardware compatability.
    Was that the latest version of Ubuntu, 6.06?

Quote Originally Posted by bonedaddy
    Is there a version I can download/purchase that will allow me to install gnome during the install process? If not, are many users running into problems with apt installing gnome?
    You can apt-get Gnome or you can install it through synaptic. Search for package named gnome-desktop-environment or something similar.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

open synaptic package manager and search for gnome. it will pull up everything that references gnome. you'll need gnome and possibly gdm. synaptic should help you with mos of that though.
    Desktop: Dual Xeon 2.8 GHz 1.5 GB RAM Ubuntu/XP Pro
    Laptop: Macbook 2 GHz C2Duo 3 GB RAM OS X/ Ubuntu/ XP Pro
    Linux Registration #396559

Go 'Stros!