Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Ok, since thr forum was down I didn;t see your last post, but I got a hunch and loaded my Xandros Install disc, clicked Custom Install, clicked on Manage Partitions ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Ok, since thr forum was down I didn;t see your last post, but I got a hunch and loaded my Xandros Install disc, clicked Custom Install, clicked on Manage Partitions and Hard Drives, assigned a file system and mount point, then clicked cancel so it wouldn't load the os on my second drive....and it worked!

I rebooted a few times to test it and it was still working

However, it turns out that Xandros has issues with a mix of IDE and SATA, and it fugures that I have Xandros on my IDE drive and my second drive is SATA.
    So, after rebooting this morning, I can't see my second drive under All FIle Systems anymore.
    So, now I have to figure out how to get it back, rebooting didn't help.

I need to remember this isn't Windows and I don't need to reboot all the time. lol

Quote Originally Posted by WebThingy
    I need to remember this isn't Windows and I don't need to reboot all the time.
    True that.

Ok then. What is the output of

Code:
    fdisk -l /dev/sda
    (as root).

And of
    Code:
    cat /etc/fstab
    ?
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

You rock man, I appreciate all your help

Ok, here is the output...

Code:
    WRATH:~# fdisk -l /dev/sda

Disk /dev/sda: 82.3 GB, 82348277760 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 10011 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sda1               1       10011    80413326   83  Linux
    WRATH:~# cat /etc/fstab
    # /etc/fstab -- static file system information
    # auto generation: on
    # generated by: /sbin/etcdev2fstab
    #
    # NOTE: to make this file readable, it has been formatted for 132 columns
    #
    #<device>                              <mountpoint>      <fstype>  <options>                                   <dbg> <pass>
    /dev/hda2                               /                 reiserfs  rw                                    0     0
    /dev/cdroms/hdc                         /media/cdrom0     iso9660   ro,nosuid,nodev,exec,user,noauto,async,unhide   0     0
    /dev/cdroms/hdd                         /media/cdrom1     iso9660   ro,nosuid,nodev,exec,user,noauto,async,unhide   0     0
    /dev/floppy/0                           /media/floppy0    auto      rw,nosuid,nodev,exec,nouser,noauto,async        0     0
    proc                                    /proc             proc      rw                                    0     0
    usbfs                                   /proc/bus/usb     usbfs     rw,devmode=0666                                 0     0
    /dev/hda1                               none              swap      sw                                    0     0

I did load files on this second drive yesterday when I was able to access it, I hope they are still there.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by WebThingy
    [code]
    WRATH:~# fdisk -l /dev/sda

Disk /dev/sda: 82.3 GB, 82348277760 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 10011 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 1 10011 80413326 83 Linux
    Ok, nothing in /etc/fstab about it.

Obviously the drive is partitioned ok. Do you remember which filesystem you used to format it?

We'll suppose it is reiserfs like your other ones.

So you can try to mount it and see if it works.

1) Create a mount point (as root)
    Code:
    cd /mnt
    mkdir somename
    Of course replace "somename" with what you want.

2) Mount the drive (as root)
    Code:
    mount -t reiserfs /dev/sda1 /mnt/somename
    using your specific mount point name instead of "somename". This is the step in which you'll know if it works. If there is any error messages, stop there.

3) Make a symlink for it in your /home directory (as a user)
    Code:
    cd
    ln -s /mnt/somename
    ... use your specific mount point.

Then try to browse the directory (/home/yourself/somename), copy files to it, etc.

If that works, then, as root, add a line to /etc/fstab so it gets mounted automatically upon booting your computer :

Code:
    nano /etc/fstab
    and add a line like that:
    Code:
    /dev/sda1    /mnt/somename    reiserfs    defaults    0      2
    (don't forget to use your specific mount point instead of /mnt/somename).
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!

File that might help you

Hello,

I run Xandros 3.02 Business and when I first installed it it had problems detecting my SATA drives. It would see them sometimes then go away in the Xandros File Manager.

I contacted support and they gave me this file which I have placed on my server. It's directly from Xandros and might help your SATA drive issues... Cant hurt anyways.. Installed fine in Xandros Networks.. Good luck..

File here xandros-detect-disks_1.89-2_i386.deb

Hey antidrugue,

Yep, I used ResierFS like the other one, I followed your directions but I got a message saying that the mount already existed. Which it should I guess since I made it yesterday, but at least with your method I knew it was still there!
    So I did as you said and stopped when I got the error message.

Hi ReviewLinux (welcome btw!),

That file did the trick man, thank you! I've rebooted several times to test and my drive is showing up everytime, seems to be faster to access now too than it was before. Looks like that deb works for Xandros Deluxe 3.0 too.

Thanks for all the help guys!!!

I know I keep saying it, but I love this forum, I just made it my home page.

Just Joined!

Smile No problemo

Heah glad to help... I'll leave the file on my server in case others out there have the same issues.

Been using Xandros for 1.5 yrs and even though there is never a lot of bleeding edge updates ( newer packages ), it runs as stable as anything I have used just always a little behind the FC and SUSE and that popular Ubuntu... in new software packages.

I use it because it just gets the job done....

Awesome, I told a few people on the Xandros forums about that link who are having the same problem I was. You rock man

Ashame Xandros is behind in software updates, hopefully they get on top of that. I know their are many softwares I'd like to install easily from the Xandros Network but can't.

Thanks again!

Just Joined!

Smile Again no problem...

I'll keep that file on my server and hopefully it will help those other Xandros users.

Take care...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2