Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, my Black Xandros Linux Box is back in business, running stable, smooth, faster than before, and this time no errors or conflicts. Ahhhh. I didn't want to wait for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Back In Black

Ok, my Black Xandros Linux Box is back in business, running stable, smooth, faster than before, and this time no errors or conflicts. Ahhhh.
    I didn't want to wait for the laptop to arrive,lol

Before I reinstalled Xandros, I removed my second hard drive which was SATA, and I'm only using my main hard drive which is IDE. Just running IDE has made the whole machine seem to feel faster, I don't get the lag I did before. (That fixthat one member posted worked for detecting the second drive, but I don't think it was all that stable, at least not on my machine anyway.)

I also removed my Audigy ZS sound card and I'm only using the onboard sound now (which is still really good). This has prevented many of the issues I had before. This time 'round, the sound was detected automatically and every program has sound without issues, also, the sound mixer is much more compact and easy to use, and I don't have to re-check the output box under switches everyday like I did with the Audigy card, that was obnoxious, it kept unchecking itself.
    Nice thing about using the onboard sound is that the headphone jack on the front of the computer now works again, which is great because it's so much easier to reach.

I got an internet connection quickly by pulling the Windows driver off the install cd, throwing it on my desktop in Xandros, then selecting it from the Windows NDIS Wireless Driver box fromt he Control Center - Network under the Wireless tab, then I selected the ESSID, entered in my WEP key, went to interfaces, hit release and renew, rebooted, and after using some /sbin/ifconfig commands Dapper Dan taught me, everything was good.

Without the sound card and second hard drive the system is also running a heck of a lot cooler than it was before, which is nice. I thought it would be a little better, but wasn't expecting it to be so much better.
    I was able to pull out my noisy system blower and still get good temp readings inside the box.

Another nice thing, I switched keyboards and my mouse to wireless before I installed Xandros, and it detected them right away, I also added a USB hub that was immediately detected.

So, I think it will all work this time. Everything appears to be working better than it was before, faster, smoother, and with no errors or conflicts.

It's good to be back

Good to hear you got it working. That sounds a lot more like my experience with Xandros, which has been overwhelmingly positive.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Thanks

Yeah, I'm much happier this time,everything is working sooOOoo much better than it did before. Xandros 4 comes out this month, so now I'm just hoping the upgrade process is as smooth as everything else is with Xandros.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close