Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I recently installed the open circulation version of xandros, I then installed: 1.Nvida Nfore chipset for linux 2.Radeon video card drivers for linux (For my radeon 9600xt) Now, I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Xandros slower then my windows installation

Hello, I recently installed the open circulation version of xandros, I then installed:

1.Nvida Nfore chipset for linux
    2.Radeon video card drivers for linux (For my radeon 9600xt)

Now, I may have installed them wrong, I don't know

Then I ran a Pc pitstop test ( www.pcpitstop.com ) and the results were 400points lower then when I run my windows. Whats going on?

Pc pit stop also said:

Code:
    unusually low memory performance

Memory performance of this system 3691 megabytes per second, is significantly lower than average. Systems with the same processor and amount of memory typically perform at a level of 5443 MB/s.
    I am a linux newbie but I do know alot about computers, if someone could help out that'd be great.

Specs:

Ram: 512, (The person who installed it said it was super good quality and ran like 1gig of what I had before)

Cpu: AMD athlon 2.8

Video: radeon 9600xt

Please help, I really don't wanna go back to windows.

i'm guessing their test is for the way Windows uses RAM. Linux uses RAM in an entirely different way which could skew the results.
    Desktop: Dual Xeon 2.8 GHz 1.5 GB RAM Ubuntu/XP Pro
    Laptop: Macbook 2 GHz C2Duo 3 GB RAM OS X/ Ubuntu/ XP Pro
    Linux Registration #396559

Go 'Stros!

Just Joined!
    Really? Well is there some sort of dionosgtics test that I could run on linux to see how its doing?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast apoorv_khurasia's Avatar
    There is a top limit to which your memory can R/W data. You cannot go faster than that. Similarly there is a limit for the processor's cache also. You can see them by running a memtest (available on many distros at boot-time and also on LiveCDs). You can compare the results.

By the way no 512 MB ram can perform like 1GB. In case you think it is just get 1 GB RAM tio check that out.
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike
    Registered Linux User: 400426 home page

Now, I have only booted Xandros once and it seemed a bit heavy so I booted Ubuntu again. So I could be wrong on this one. But... Here's my input. Xandros is made to be REALLY user friendly. So doesn't it boot a LOT of things? How much memory do you have installed? As far as it being clunkier than WinBlows... I didn't think that was possible. Lol.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom
    Now, I have only booted Xandros once and it seemed a bit heavy so I booted Ubuntu again. So I could be wrong on this one. But... Here's my input. Xandros is made to be REALLY user friendly. So doesn't it boot a LOT of things? How much memory do you have installed? As far as it being clunkier than WinBlows... I didn't think that was possible. Lol.
    THis is my experience also - I have 1Gig of Ram, 2.4ghZ processor - but it's definitely much slower than Win XP Pro. Very disappointed!

Just Joined!

xandros 4 slow

I've been running Xandros 3 no problems -so when 4 became available
    thought i'd install it -dual boot with xp and it's painfully slow. did an 3 install on same machine -triple boot -it's no problem -fast but not as sexy looking.so, it's not the machine -it's xandros 4!
    also thought i'd take the anti-virus trial offered -now i can't uninstall it!
    keeps telling me trial is up -but can't get rid of the mongrel thing!anyone with a clue?