Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, i am new to these forums and to xandros. Can anyone tell me what ethernet cards run on xandros? I currently have an old laptop with xandros on it. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ethernet cards for xandros

Ok, i am new to these forums and to xandros. Can anyone tell me what ethernet cards run on xandros? I currently have an old laptop with xandros on it. My problem is that the laptop is so old that it doesn't have an internal ethernet plug. When i went down to staples to get an ethernet card, the guy at the store said that the cards might not run on xandros (allthough he could be wrong, he has never even heard about xandros). Do you know if xandros 2.0 can run ethernet cards that have windows drivers only?

Quote Originally Posted by danecookfan08
    Do you know if xandros 2.0 can run ethernet cards that have windows drivers only?
    Xandros 2.0 (released 2003/12/16) uses a Linux Kernel version 2.4.22. So you might find yourself a bit limited in your choice of network cards. Why not use a newer Linux distribution?

You might want to take a look here to see if you can find a better distro for this laptop :
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...e-posting.html

You may have some luck with old PCMCIA network cards, but I guess anything newer than 25-Aug-2003 (release date of Linux kernel 2.4.22) will not work very well or at least not easily.

If you want more help, please post your exact laptop model.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    The reason im using 2.0 is because my frind has a dvd with about 15 linux operating systems. The only ones he suggested for me were linspire and xandros. Linspire wouldn't install, so all i have to use is xandros.

Honestly, i don't have the money to buy a new operating system, thats why i replaced the crashing windows with linux. If you know of a better operating system i can get for free, im all ears.

You also ask what laptop i have. Of what i could find, it is a compaq presario 1200. It used to have windows 98, so that can help to guese its average age.

You said that a card made in 2003 might work better, do you know where i could get one of them? The only card i could find that old was my dads and that one was run over by a forklift.

Quote Originally Posted by danecookfan08
    Honestly, i don't have the money to buy a new operating system, thats why i replaced the crashing windows with linux. If you know of a better operating system i can get for free, im all ears.
    99% of all Linux distributions are free to download and use. There are only a handful (Xandros, Linspire, Turbolinux) that require you to pay for them. Xandros even has a free edition (Xandros OCE). For an exhaustive list of available free Linux distributions, I suggest DistroWatch.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

check online for old school pcmcia cards. i've had great success with xircom and 3com. these work great even on old distributions on machines with limited ability.
    Desktop: Dual Xeon 2.8 GHz 1.5 GB RAM Ubuntu/XP Pro
    Laptop: Macbook 2 GHz C2Duo 3 GB RAM OS X/ Ubuntu/ XP Pro
    Linux Registration #396559

Go 'Stros!

drl
    Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Hi, danecookfan08.

The Hardware compatibility lists for Xandros 2 and 3 are here: http://support.xandros.com/hcl.php

Download the free version of Xandros 3 (only by BitTorrent, but that can be done on Windows, Mac, or Linux) here:
    http://www.xandros.com/products/home..._download.html

After you download an iso, you may want to read how to burn a CD here: http://www.xandros.com/products/home/howtoburn.html

Best wishes ... cheers, drl
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the xandros 3 link. This may make me sound like a retard, but how do you wipe xandros 2 off of a computer? I tryed a windows 98se boot disk, and that didn't get rid of it. Is there an xandros boot disk, and if there is, do you have a link to a site to download it?

drl
    Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Hi, danecookfan08.

OK, let us be sure: you want to (effectively) lose everything from the hard disk on which you have Xandros 2?

If so, and if that's the only thing you have on the disk, you might be able use any of the windows utilities that are named fixmbr or similar. Most recently I used one of the utilities on a RescueCD -- they allow you to re-partition a drive. Once you start re-partitioning, you give up easy access to the data (it's there, but very difficult to recover).

Or -- the free version of Xandros 3 will be a boot disk after you burn the image to a CD. Once you boot that CD to install, I think you will be given the option to take over the disk or language to that effect -- it's been a long time since I installed the Open Circulation Edition, so that I don't recall the sequence exactly (and I never arrange multi-os-partitions, only multi-disk since I consider the latter so much safer). You may want to peruse the FAQs at the Xandros site.

If you are planning to install some other distribution, the install procedure will usually allow you to take over the entire disk -- and ask you several times if you're sure you want to do that.

Best wishes ... cheers, drl
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )