Find the answer to your Linux question:
So got hold of kanotix, relly nice. Now I need to move all my data from the cursed ntfs drives to something linux will also be able to write to. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

partition types for different data

So got hold of kanotix, relly nice. Now I need to move all my data from the cursed ntfs drives to something linux will also be able to write to. But how should i partition the drives?
    I read that for big files like video (700-1200mb) xfs was better than reiserfs or ext3, but dont know if this is true.
    I have a 250 gb drive that need to hold mp3 files (thats a lot of small files), another 250 gb needs to hold big videofiles, -what partition system should be used on these disks?

-and when i format them, how do i make them accesible to all users?

thanks, zonker

Quote Originally Posted by zonker66
    I have a 250 gb drive that need to hold mp3 files (thats a lot of small files),
    Still, mp3 (2-5 mb) are not considered small files, so ReiserFS will not be that efficient with them (it likes < 1000k files).

another 250 gb needs to hold big videofiles, -what partition system should be used on these disks?
    I hear XFS is very good for that. But personaly I prefer the good old EXT3, which is an all-around performer, as well as being very reliable and flexible.

Some documentation :
    http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/388
    http://fsbench.netnation.com/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem

-and when i format them, how do i make them accesible to all users?
    A simple entry in /etc/fstab should do the trick.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

ok, thanks, i formatted two 250gb with xfs and one with ext3, and moved the data, all went fine.
    Now i would like that my user profile has read/write acess to the disks when i log in, not only as root , but how do i do that?
    Can i create a group that includes me and assignn read/write access to that group, or do i have to change the owner from root to me? or is there another preferable way to do that?

Now i would like that my user profile has read/write acess to the disks when i log in, not only as root , but how do i do that?
    What is the content of /etc/fstab?

This disk is physically in your computer? (if so, the "defaults" mount options should give your user access).

Make sure the permissions on the drive are OK :
    Code:
    man chmod
    Make sure the drive is mounted OK :
    Code:
    man mount
    and

Code:
    man fstab
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

thanks for the instant reply! im still formatting and moving data (i have 9 hds to manage). The hds are all in the machine, i just persumed that only root had write acess to anything except home folder. Ill use the man pages and only return if i get totally lost,
    thx again