Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've used Mepis in the past, but I wanted to go back to it since I was having problems with Gentoo. When I boot the cd it goes real slow, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    kbk

Can't install!

I've used Mepis in the past, but I wanted to go back to it since I was having problems with Gentoo. When I boot the cd it goes real slow, then when it starts up and I try and partition, it says that there is no device. I've already wiped my hard drive (I thought it might help), so what should I do now? I can't really re-burn the iso because I don't have anything that can handle that on any other computers (mac and a Acer Winblows laptop, if anyone knows an iso burner for mac that is free, please tell me).

Thanks.

kbk
    Anyone got a clue? I hate to troll but I can't stand not having a computer.

oz
    forum.guy
    I'm thinking it must be a bad image, or a bad burn to the CD. Have you used this CD with success before? Is this the latest version of MEPIS?

Do you have any other live CDs or other versions of Linux you can try to see if they load and work properly?

You might have to reinstall Windows if you have the CD handy so that you can get online to download and burn MEPIS again. If that won't work, maybe you can go to a local book store and find a magazine with a Linux CD (MEPIS?) in it.

Otherwise, maybe borrow one from a friend, or get someone nearby to mail you one.

Maybe there's a Linux User Group in your area.

Just throwing some ideas out there, because I'd go nutty without a computer.
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    kbk
    I have other live cd's and I could do a quick KNOPPIX or DSL installation and re-download MEPIS. This is the current stable version (3.4 rc6 or whatever) but this is the first time I have used this disk. Thanks for the ideas, I"ll probably end up installing DSL and just go that route.

kbk
    I tried DSL, it can't read the drive either. So does this mean it's my hard drive? It is a somewhat older version of DSL (.9), but it came with my Linux Bible.. I'm going to try KNOPPIX as well, but is there anything else I can try?

Just Joined!
    One alternative you might consider is to call your public library. Ask about their facilities -- often at least one branch will have some PCs set up where you can download and burn to a CD. Take a CD with you if you don't want to purchase theirs (often at inflated prices).

Just Joined!

hostname not valid: cannot install mepis

My problem can't install mepis either... i go through all steps to install, but when i try to set up the HOSTNAME, it tells me that hostname is not valid.... don't know what's up with that... i've tried like 40 diferent hostnames... no luck!

ive downloaded the iso from diferent places thinking it might be a bad image... but always same problem... dont know...