Find the answer to your Linux question:
Got Mepis installed, and now I would like for my resolution to be the correct size, like it was with Gentoo. I did xorgconfig and I thought I had fixed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    kbk

xorg.conf issues

Got Mepis installed, and now I would like for my resolution to be the correct size, like it was with Gentoo. I did xorgconfig and I thought I had fixed everything. Then it turns out that my mouse won't work, I have a USB mouse, and I don't know where it is located. So I tried using the default, but that didn't work. So I re-installed Mepis, and now I'm wondering, how do I figure out where my mouse is so that I can get my resolution right. If I have it at any other resolution it looks foggy and stuff...I can't stand it.

Thanks,
    kbk

oz
    forum.guy
    Not sure about yours, but mine is at: /dev/input/mice

What all have you tried?
    oz

Another one I sometimes use:

/dev/psaux
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

kbk
    Well it said the default was /dev/mouse and the example it gave me was /dev/tty1 or something like that.

oz
    forum.guy
    Did you try /dev/input/mice to see if it would work?

Here's a USB guide that might help guide you:

http://www.linux-usb.org/USB-guide/x194.html
    oz

kbk
    What if instead of editing the entire thing in a shell I just edited the xorg.conf text file. That way I could keep my mouse settings and everything. How would I do this without screwing everything up...Looking at the file right now it looks pretty intimidating. All I really want is to be able to set the display at 1280x1024.

Quote Originally Posted by kbk
    What if instead of editing the entire thing in a shell I just edited the xorg.conf text file.
    I'm not sure what you mean. If you're editing it in a shell you are editing the xorg.conf file. Do you mean editing the text file manually rather than regenerating it?

That way I could keep my mouse settings and everything. How would I do this without screwing everything up...Looking at the file right now it looks pretty intimidating. All I really want is to be able to set the display at 1280x1024.
    You can do this. Scroll down toward the very bottom of the xorg.conf file and look for a section named "Display". You should see a list of depths and resolutions. Put "1280x1024" at the beginning of each list of resolutions and that will become your new default resolution.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

kbk
    Thanks. I meant editing it in like Kate or something like that instead of regenerating it or whatever..

kbk
    That worked! I'm pretty proud of myself . Thanks for all the help everyone .

kbk
    Now I'm having another monitor problem. Everything boots fine but after it starts kdm, it shows nothing but black, the bottom of the screen kinda flashes a little bit, the flashing part is about 2 inches. What the hell is wrong now?!