Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
How do you install .rpm files in Xandros?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation .RPM Files

How do you install .rpm files in Xandros?

Xandros is based on Debian, which uses the Debian package manager, apt, and allows you to install .DEB packages. I would first see if the program you're trying to install has a DEB package or can be installed using apt-get or the Xandros Networks application.

Be very careful installing packages yourself in Xandros. You can very easily screw it up this way because Xandros relies on specially-modified library files that can be accidentally replaced when you manually install things.

To install an RPM file in a Debian system, you need to use a program called alien.

Code:
    alien --to-deb nameoffile.rpm
    This will create a DEB package that you can install using dpkg.
    Code:
    dpkg -i nameoffile.DEB
    You'll need to be logged in as root user to do this.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

Alien

Where do you get Alien and how do you install it. I can't seem to install .tar.gz files either.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by cyborg939
    Where do you get Alien and how do you install it. I can't seem to install .tar.gz files either.
    TAR.GZ files aren't installable packages like EXE files or RPM/DEB files. They're source code. You would do well to read this thread, particularly the link titled "How to Install Software in Linux":

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...ead-first.html

You can get alien by opening a command line window, logging in as root and typing apt-get install alien.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Xandros is based on Debian, which uses the Debian package manager, apt, and allows you to install .DEB packages. I would first see if the program you're trying to install has a DEB package or can be installed using apt-get or the Xandros Networks application.

Be very careful installing packages yourself in Xandros. You can very easily screw it up this way because Xandros relies on specially-modified library files that can be accidentally replaced when you manually install things.

To install an RPM file in a Debian system, you need to use a program called alien.

Code:
    alien --to-deb nameoffile.rpm
    This will create a DEB package that you can install using dpkg.
    Code:
    dpkg -i nameoffile.DEB
    You'll need to be logged in as root user to do this.
    It says the file (avg71flm-r28-a0757.i386.rpm) not found. What do I do?

Linux User
    go to the directory where the .rpm file lies and use the commands (or)
    you can specify the whole path like
    alien --to-deb /usr/local/file.rpm
    regards

Just Joined!

Thanks

Thanks! It says that the file was generated, but where do you find and install it?

Just Joined!

Exclamation .tar.gz

I did all you said on the "How To Install Software..." page, but when I got to the part where you type in more INSTALL and ./configure, the installer (I am installing firefox 1.5.0.4 from a tar.gz file), for the more INSTALL command, it says "install: No such file or directory" and for the ./configure command, it shows "bash ./configure: No such file or directory." Could you help? Also, when I installed the .deb, it installed, it will run, but then the box on the toolbar goes away without opening (I installed AVG for linux).

Quote Originally Posted by cyborg939
    I did all you said on the "How To Install Software..." page, but when I got to the part where you type in more INSTALL and ./configure, the installer (I am installing firefox 1.5.0.4 from a tar.gz file), for the more INSTALL command, it says "install: No such file or directory" and for the ./configure command, it shows "bash ./configure: No such file or directory." Could you help? Also, when I installed the .deb, it installed, it will run, but then the box on the toolbar goes away without opening (I installed AVG for linux).
    You can install both Mozilla Firefox and AVG Antivirus using Xandros Networks. This is much simpler than doing what you're trying to do. All you need to do is open up Xandros Networks and do a search. You should be able to find both through that tool.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

Firefox, AVG

But on Xandros Networks, it still has the old 1.0.8 version which doesn't work with many of the plugins and many websites.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast