Find the answer to your Linux question:
I formatted my machine to try out fedora core 5 and then gave up on it after a few days as I can't run yum or up2date. I was extremely ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I'm Lost.

I formatted my machine to try out fedora core 5 and then gave up on it after a few days as I can't run yum or up2date. I was extremely frustrated to find out that I can't re-install windows xp on my machine. My system will boot to the wondows bootable disc, it will start to analyze my hardware and then the screen will go blank and my system just hangs there. I'm lost. I just want re install windows. pls guys help me.

oz
    forum.guy
    Is your system still trying to boot with GRUB?

If so, boot with a Windows emergency boot disk and run: fdisk /mbr

...or

Boot with the Windows XP installation CD and from the recovery console type: fixmbr

Doing either one should rewrite the MBR and remove GRUB, and once GRUB is gone, you should be able to reinstall Windows.
    oz

About your updating problems: I bet it was because of missing DNS server entries for the network-device. We could have helped you. You can still install Fedora on a free partition and use a dual-boot system then.
    Windows free since 2002 | computing since 1984

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar
    Is your system still trying to boot with GRUB?

If so, boot with a Windows emergency boot disk and run: fdisk /mbr

...or

Boot with the Windows XP installation CD and from the recovery console type: fixmbr

Doing either one should rewrite the MBR and remove GRUB, and once GRUB is gone, you should be able to reinstall Windows.

I'm really novice to all these grub and windows settings.Guys can u explain me in some simple way.. thanku very much. i went to this local comp tech. i think he was jerk. he couldnt help me. so for me u guys r the only way.

Linux uses a different bootloader than Windows. The comm solutions in Linux are Lilo or Grub. Fedora uses grub as default. A bootloader is installed at the very beginning of your harddisk, before any operating system like Windows or Linux.

When you install a Linux distro, it's bootloader will usually overwrite the Windows bootloader (unless you tell the system not to do so) at the start of the harddisk. Linux bootloaders are dual-boot capable, the Windows bootloader is not. But: The Linux bootloader needs of course a working Linux system so it can use the configuration file thazt is stored on the Linux partition. If you flatten the Linux partition, then - of course - the config files for the bootloader will be gone. But the first sectors of your harddrive (=Masterbootrecord / MBR) were not reformatted at all. They are still "formatted" for the Linux bootloader, resulting in a computer telling you "hello? where are the configuration files? Where shall I proceed, huh?".

If you reinstall Windows, it will not be able to boot again, as long as you do not partition separately the MBR for a Windows bootloader again. Thus, you will need either a bootdisk with which you can restore the MBR for Windows or you will have to boot the Windows CD in rescue mode (I think it was F8 ) and launch the MBR repair-command. The commands are described above. Once you have done that, reboot the system and you should be able to use Windows again.

Hope that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Kojak
    Linux uses a different bootloader than Windows. The comm solutions in Linux are Lilo or Grub. Fedora uses grub as default. A bootloader is installed at the very beginning of your harddisk, before any operating system like Windows or Linux.

When you install a Linux distro, it's bootloader will usually overwrite the Windows bootloader (unless you tell the system not to do so) at the start of the harddisk. Linux bootloaders are dual-boot capable, the Windows bootloader is not. But: The Linux bootloader needs of course a working Linux system so it can use the configuration file thazt is stored on the Linux partition. If you flatten the Linux partition, then - of course - the config files for the bootloader will be gone. But the first sectors of your harddrive (=Masterbootrecord / MBR) were not reformatted at all. They are still "formatted" for the Linux bootloader, resulting in a computer telling you "hello? where are the configuration files? Where shall I proceed, huh?".

If you reinstall Windows, it will not be able to boot again, as long as you do not partition separately the MBR for a Windows bootloader again. Thus, you will need either a bootdisk with which you can restore the MBR for Windows or you will have to boot the Windows CD in rescue mode (I think it was F8 ) and launch the MBR repair-command. The commands are described above. Once you have done that, reboot the system and you should be able to use Windows again.

Hope that makes sense.
    Thx hun....m gonna try it now....wuts the command u said?And i hav got windows bootable cd only. will tht work?

The bootable CD will do. Hit F8 (IIRC), go to the Windows rescue-terminal and type at the prompt:
    fixmbr
    That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by fookju
    I formatted my machine to try out fedora core 5 and then gave up on it after a few days as I can't run yum or up2date. I was extremely frustrated to find out that I can't re-install windows xp on my machine. My system will boot to the wondows bootable disc, it will start to analyze my hardware and then the screen will go blank and my system just hangs there. I'm lost. I just want re install windows. pls guys help me.
    I had this problem with Windows XP, installing it to a hard drive that previously had linux only on it. It would just hang. I could type fixmbr as many times as I wanted, and fixboot, etc... I had to pop in my old Windows 2000 install disk, and format my drive so that Windows XP wouldn't hang on the hard drives. Weird, but that is what I have had to do on several occasions.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Quote Originally Posted by gruven
    I had this problem with Windows XP, installing it to a hard drive that previously had linux only on it. It would just hang. I could type fixmbr as many times as I wanted, and fixboot, etc... I had to pop in my old Windows 2000 install disk, and format my drive so that Windows XP wouldn't hang on the hard drives. Weird, but that is what I have had to do on several occasions.

Weird...yeah.. i did quite the same thing. i installed win'98 first and then my xp. lol .Problem solved Thanks.

Question I'm lost too!

Quote Originally Posted by fookju
    Have you solved your problem?

Edit...I read your last post.... Great my problem is solved too.....