Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok i have windows xp pro sp2 and i have 2 harddrives both set to cable select som my questions are does anyone know of a good tutuorial to install ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question linux xp pro help plz :-)

ok i have windows xp pro sp2 and i have 2 harddrives both set to cable select som my questions are does anyone know of a good tutuorial to install linux xp pro? and can i install it on the hd that dosnt have windows? and how will i boot from that hd? also is it a very comfusing instillation process? and can i run it live?

as you can see im new to linux

Quote Originally Posted by 5922
    does anyone know of a good tutuorial to install linux xp pro?
    What Linux is it you are trying to install? As far as i know there is no Linux XP Pro, if there is, post a link and we can try and help. If not, what linux is it you are trying to install?

can i install it on the hd that dosnt have windows? and how will i boot from that hd? also is it a very comfusing instillation process? and can i run it live?
    Yes, you can install to the 2nd hard drive, booting between the 2 will be done through grub or lilo. and if the installer is any good, it will set this all up for you anyway
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

it seems linux xp does exists: http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=linuxxp
    its for russian speakers by the way.

personaly, i dont like distros that try to use the MS operating system names, like A-linux tried to do. i guess the Linux xp team isn't gettig any "cease and desist" letters from microsoft because nothing will be enforced in russia.....

since you are new to linux, one thing you must keep in mind is that linux is not a microsoft imitation. its a distinct operating system.

if you want an easy setup and most (normaly all) of the configuration done automaticaly, then use a popular mainstream linux distribution like: SUSE, Fedora Core or Mandriva.

here are the free download sites:
    -> SUSE: http://en.opensuse.com/
    -> Mandriva: http://www.mandriva.com/en/downloads/
    -> Fedora Core: http://fedora.redhat.com/

when you burn the .iso files, make sure you set your cd writing software to burn them as "cd images".

good luck!
    All Empires rise and fall. The Microsoft Empire has already risen, only one way to go now...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    it seems linux xp does exists: http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=linuxxp
    its for russian speakers by the way.
    yes it does exsist and it is made by a company in russia but it runs in either english or russian and it is based on fedora anyway i installed it it was very easy to install but would not play cd's and the taskbar is a rip from windows xp it takes like 15 min to install it so its very quick but i didnt like it so i uninstalled it and went back to windows xp pro sp2 but im getting ubuntu to see how that is

if its based on fedore, why not just install fedora itself?
    All Empires rise and fall. The Microsoft Empire has already risen, only one way to go now...

oz
    forum.guy
    but im getting ubuntu to see how that is
    Glad you aren't giving up. Just keep playing with different distros and you'll most likely find one you really like.

Keep us updated.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by easuter
    if its based on fedore, why not just install fedora itself?
    They all contain the Linux kernel, so why not just roll you're own then?
    I'm being sarcastic. Did you get it going, 5922? How is it? I ran across it and it looked pretty cool. I might give it a shot myself.

Chris

Yep, everyone has their own view to which Linux they like. Personally I like one that can do everything from Internet, Videos, Music and which I don't have to struggle to get my USB devices working...PCLinuxOS is just that for me and seeing that I'm a total n00b it's perfect!!! When I learn more I might give Fedora a try. I have SuSE 10.1 at home as well and it's fine too, but for me who's only learning Linux I don't need a big distro now...

Search around and you'll find one that you feel just "bonds" with your needs lol