Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm running DSL inside a winxp sp2 box, I was wondering if there is any way to mount the hard disk so that I can read from it. I should ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mount hard drive D@mn Small Linux

I'm running DSL inside a winxp sp2 box, I was wondering if there is any way to mount the hard disk so that I can read from it.
    I should also say that the hard drive doesn't even show up on /etc/fstab is there any way to check what disks are installed on this box?

just using the mount /dev/hdxx command should mount your partition. problem is, i'm not sure if DSL has ntfs read/write support.
    All Empires rise and fall. The Microsoft Empire has already risen, only one way to go now...

You need the ntfs driver for mounting the win. drives in Linux.
    You can find that driver here:
    http://www.linux-ntfs.org/

Just Joined!
    But is it possible to install anything at all when DSL is running within windows? This is not a real installation.... just running as a guest OS... Can this still be done?

As far as I know NOPE. With this driver you can just read the contents on the ntfs paritition, you can't write anything into it.

Just Joined!
    I wouldn't want to write to it, just as long as I can read...

But I guess it would look around, because it's running from within the windows drive, so installing something into DSL would in fact be the same as writing into drive <-- Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Just Joined!
    what about mounting hda1 or even sda1 while booting up DSL from a usb?

i ran "dsl toram", to load it in ram so it'd run a li'l faster, but i couldnt figure out how to mount/access the hdd or usb drive itself. at the bottom right it showed that it was mounted, but i couldnt access it to read/write conten to the usb. i only want to read from hdd for now.

Quote Originally Posted by VECTOR8TOR
    But is it possible to install anything at all when DSL is running within windows? This is not a real installation.... just running as a guest OS...
    I don't understand what that means ("running within windows"), unless you are running VMware or similar. If not, then either the PC is running Linux or Windows. Do you just mean that Linux is running within the PC that was originaly running Windows? That's a confusing viewpoint.

But this is my fstab entry for mounting the Windows NTFS partition on Mandriva. Hopefully it will work on DSL:

/dev/hda2 /mnt/nt ntfs umask=0,nls=iso8859-1,ro 0 0

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by KenJackson
    I don't understand what that means ("running within windows"), unless you are running VMware or similar. If not, then either the PC is running Linux or Windows. Do you just mean that Linux is running within the PC that was originaly running Windows? That's a confusing viewpoint.
    it's not confusing once you do it... you get a dos screen that shows the bootup process of linux... while you're in windows. i think that the Qemu prg creates it's own virtual environment within windows. and you can still access all kinds of things from within DSL, from within windows. neat.

but seriously, i'm super new, i need tutorials on pretty much everything... where's the best place to go to get general understanding of how to install linux from the ground up. (and also have access to my hdd)

Qemu? Ok, that falls in the "VMware or similar" category I mentioned. It's an important detail.

I haven't used Qemu yet, but here is a a FAQ question that may or may not help.