Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Dear Whomever that may be able to help me, my 2 yr old dell (windows xp) got hacked or something like that matter (or a data mining virus) for i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need Dire Help!!!!!!

Dear Whomever that may be able to help me,
    my 2 yr old dell (windows xp) got hacked or something like that matter (or a data mining virus) for i am missing a large file called driver.stf or something like that and now my whole computer is rendered to nothingness... no files are able to process, open or be moved. not only that, but the files are also pictureless except for adobe and Windows Media Player.. all other files are pictureless with the blank sheet icon as though it was an unrecognized file type... if ur solution is reinstall windows... i have tried and noticed that there is no cd drive showing in my computer and the cd drive is null... (but still runs just doesnt show on windows, u can hear a running spinning sound) now my dell is unable to use internet, cd, or any other file. PLEASE HELP ME!

Thank You
    P.S. im not sure if i posted in the correct thread/board

oz
    forum.guy
    You need to reformat and then reinstall Windows, or get your hands on a Linux distribution and install that. Here's a good place to check out Linux distros:

http://www.distrowatch.com/
    oz

Linux User
    In addition to ozar's advice,there might be some thing like 'restore point' in windows.You can do a little research on how to revert back to a restore point.Also try posting in windows forums.

good luck

hi ichigotomic !!

you can find restore in Accessories -- system tools -- system restore
    but i dont think restore going to work... infected with virus...

you can try tuneup utilities or file recovery tools...

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    guys thanx 4 ur responses .

but... ozar i cant reinstall windows due to the fact that no discs would work... nor can i get anything onto my computer because right now i am using a laptop and my dell would not read discs... (the disc drive is missing when i click my computer) otherwise, i would install my windows xp sp2 on it

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by ichigotomic
    guys thanx 4 ur responses .

but... ozar i cant reinstall windows due to the fact that no discs would work... nor can i get anything onto my computer because right now i am using a laptop and my dell would not read discs... (the disc drive is missing when i click my computer) otherwise, i would install my windows xp sp2 on it

you need to do a complete format and boot using a XP install cd and install the OS(if nothing else works).I could not understand the 'dell would not read discs'..

Just Joined!
    sry 4 double post... but system restore is unable to be used cuz of the file thing.... it wont open...

the file icons are kinda like this one i found on the internet except they dunt have a yellow box in front of it and is on a blank sheet of paperish thing

Just Joined!
    UPDATE: the only thing i need now is the file that opens files with the extension .exe i would be able to fix the comp if someone is able to be kind enough to give me the link to the file that opens it. THANK YOU ALL FOR UR HELP!

hi ichigotomic !!!

i think .exe extension association is missing...
    in tools -- folder options -- file types --- New

create new file extension.... .exe
    associated file type --- application/x-msdownload

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Ty Casper, one last question wat file do i need to open LNK files? (the files leading to exe) cuz those dont work... either.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast