Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi all I currently have dsl version 3.0.1, and would like to install puppylinux as a duel boot, I've read the puppylinux forums instructions and nothing seems to work, can ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

help with puppy linux

hi all I currently have dsl version 3.0.1, and would like to install puppylinux as a duel boot, I've read the puppylinux forums instructions and nothing seems to work, can someone help with this or with another distro to use beside puppylinux

Question

Hi,
    I am writing this from Puppy Linux so I know it works!

I am afraid no-one can help you at present because you have told us nothing from which we can work out why it doesn't work.

Please answer the following and we will try to help.

1/ What version of Puppy did you try to use?
    2/ Did you burn it to CD?
    3/ What happened -->exactly<-- when you booted it up, ie what messages did you see?
    4/ If you got far enough to get the GUI working then I would say it worked so you probably mean some program/hardware doesn't work so please say what it is.
    Best wishes,
    Norm

Just Joined!

Puppy on HD

Hi I have used Puppy since 1.01 now on 2.10 and have never installed to HD. My installed OS is SUSE 10.1 and I have Puppy on CD in the CD reader unless I walnt SUSE to boot. I have read a few issues on the Puppy Forum with installing and cannot really see any advantage in doing so.
    Puppy from CD is extremely fast to load and has the added advantage of being able to boot a failed system from CD for such admin tasks as reset a forgotten root password or edit GRUB menu etc. To mount other partitions under Puppy is a breeze with MUT. Stay with Puppy - it's a great little distro for basic applications and fery fast and safe access to the internet. Hope this helps

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Hi I have used Puppy since 1.01 now on 2.10 and have never installed to HD. My installed OS is SUSE 10.1 and I have Puppy on CD in the CD reader unless I walnt SUSE to boot. I have read a few issues on the Puppy Forum with installing and cannot really see any advantage in doing so.
    Puppy from CD is extremely fast to load and has the added advantage of being able to boot a failed system from CD for such admin tasks as reset a forgotten root password or edit GRUB menu etc. To mount other partitions under Puppy is a breeze with MUT. Stay with Puppy - it's a great little distro for basic applications and fery fast and safe access to the internet. Hope this helps

As ony other live cd, except for speed
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Linux Newbie

Other distros

I don't really like puppy, so I'm gonna suggest a couple other distros: NimbleX (another live -cd distro) NimbleX comes with kde, and fits on a micro cd (about 185MB)! And DSL-N (Damn Small Linux Not), about 90MB.