Find the answer to your Linux question:
Would anyone be willing to help me get the Musix distro to work on a Compaq Evo N115 laptop? I can post the nitty gritty if someone indicates that might ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help with Musix distro on Compaq laptop?

Would anyone be willing to help me get the Musix distro to work on a Compaq Evo N115 laptop? I can post the nitty gritty if someone indicates that might help, but basically, I have a SoundMAX sound card, an AMD processor, and around 300MB of RAM.

The problem I'm currently having is that I can't get sound of any kind. An error message pops up the instant I press the play button on xmms. Previously, I've tried Ubuntu Dapper, the Studio to go! demo, and Dyne:bolic distros on this machine, and those all detected all my hardware automagically and did basic sound stuff ok, so I don't really know where to start.
    (The reason I decided to not use those distros is because I can't seem to get rid of insurmountable xruns in JACK with Ubuntu, Studio To Go! is not free, and Dyne seems to have some problem with my wireless card I can't get past.)

Thank you in advance for your help! Let me know if more info would be helpful from me.

What is the error message?
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    I should have tried this before, but I just figured out that it works when I boot withOUT my midi cable plugged in.

Now I don't see how to get it to recognize the midi cable after I've started up and I plug it in. When I plugged it in, it sounded like the hard drive was accessed, but I didn't see it show up in Jack's connection window.

Thanks!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Also, I'd like to set it up so I don't have to unplug and re-plug the midi cable every time I boot.

(I will probably install this on my hard drive soon, so assume that's done.)

I am not sure how to help on this one as I have 0 experience with midi cables.
    You could try installing it to the hard drive, if it doesn't work you can just reinstall the previous distro that worked with your wireless.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ