Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been thinking about building my own OS for a whiel now. I think it would be a great way to get more heavily into C++. I think it would ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

My Own Linux Distro

I've been thinking about building my own OS for a whiel now. I think it would be a great way to get more heavily into C++. I think it would be awesome if I could wrtie my own linux distro. Any ideas where to start? I know that all of these people aren't just pulling these distros out of their butts, so where's the code that they're all based on? Thanks for any help you can give.

Linux Engineer
    it really wouldn't be your own distro; however, check out linuxfromscratch...

oz
    forum.guy
    You can take a look at building your own with Rock Linux, too:

http://www.rocklinux.org/wiki/Main_Page
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Instead of building your own distro (which I guess you will simply do out of fun) and maintaining that distro, I suggest you give your distro-building effort a shot and join an established project then. Many distros are seeking people who can help them, from patching kernels to installation scripts to packaging to user support to <enter any thing that comes to your mind>.

Unix is about quality, not quantity. The same should apply to Linux (it once did, but too many script-enthusiasts started hundreds of "hobby" projects lately).
    Windows free since 2002 | computing since 1984

Quote Originally Posted by Kojak
    Instead of building your own distro (which I guess you will simply do out of fun) and maintaining that distro, I suggest you give your distro-building effort a shot and join an established project then. Many distros are seeking people who can help them, from patching kernels to installation scripts to packaging to user support to <enter any thing that comes to your mind>.

Unix is about quality, not quantity. The same should apply to Linux (it once did, but too many script-enthusiasts started hundreds of "hobby" projects lately).
    Had Kojak's post not been here, I would have written it

There are relatively easy ways of making your own distro, but there are so many distros (and programs as well) that need help, it's almost sad. You can take a look at sourceforge, I think there's a page with programs which have been abandoned.

Linux Newbie
    Alrighty then, any suggestions on distributions? I'd perfer a minimalist distro so I don't have to spend days downloading the CD's and source <cough debian cough> although netinstalls aren't too bad. I also don't have to great of a development environment (old win98 machines with 266 and an 866 processor) as I'm not allowed to F with our good machine. Also, I really don't think that I'll be much help in the coding department, I'm still a total newbie with C++/C and I doubt I'll be much help and will simply lag the project. Thats the reason that I want to write my own distro (plus I can tailor it exactly to my needs, not to general purpose). Still, that might not be a bad idea later on.

I'd suggest Sourceforge once again. You can search for programs written in, say C or C++. The source code for smaller, simpler programs is... well, small and simple

There's also a 'help wanted' area you might want to take a look at.

As for searching for linux distros, distrowatch would be the place to start.

Don't be afraid that your "skills are not up to the task". Most projects are hobby projects and people are patient, helpful, friendly and will help you debugging the code. I know one developer who also knew only a bit C++ when he started with Linux and learned how to build distros in less than six months with the help of other project-members. Btw., he is now the lead-developer of a well-known linux-project.
    Windows free since 2002 | computing since 1984

Just Joined!

Smile Not LFS but it will do

As cool as building it from scratch is. My line of thinking is why re-invent the wheel. Took Me a few hours to remaster my favorite distro using this guide

http://www.cyberpunkcafe.com/page.php?31

I think it is geared towards intermediate users.

I hope someone will find this guide as usefull as i have
    Enjoy!!

Just Joined!
    i'd reccomend a remaster of something like pclinuxos because pclos has mklivecd that compresses gigs of programs on a single cd so you wont have to worry about size and # of cd's

plus pclinuxos is a great distro to remaster