Find the answer to your Linux question:
i put in the xandros installation disk into my computer to boot off and it says loading iso linux and all that and then it just stays at a blank ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    cky
    Just Joined!

xandros wont install

i put in the xandros installation disk into my computer to boot off and it says loading iso linux and all that and then it just stays at a blank black screen. i tried booting it on a older computer and it booted up fine.

my specs are:

p4 3.0 ghz
    512 mb ram ddr2
    (2)80 gig hard drives

drl
    Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Hi, cky.

I have not had any trouble installing Xandros, but such a situation is not unknown. My recollection is that there can be video problems, plug-and-play settings in BIOS, acpi settings, and some SATA drives give trouble, but that is not an exhaustive list. I have installed successfully onto ATA, SATA, and SCSI drives, and with a few video cards, so possibly I have been lucky with my hardware, although I needed to get an NIC for one box (and it turned out that the updates from the repository had the driver for the NIC that was initially not recognized).

It sounds like your install CD is good since you were able to start it on your other machine.

I don't recall the "iso linux" message, but it has been a while since I've done an install.

If you cannot get sufficient help here, I suggest you try forums.xandros.com, where there are a lot of xandros users, and a lot more knowledgeable than I am about the troubles with installs. Best wishes ... cheers, drl
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by cky
    i put in the xandros installation disk into my computer to boot off and it says loading iso linux and all that and then it just stays at a blank black screen. i tried booting it on a older computer and it booted up fine.

my specs are:

p4 3.0 ghz
    512 mb ram ddr2
    (2)80 gig hard drives
    I might be wrong but it might be the graphics driver.Does it have a live cd installer?If so it might be using the wrong default drivers.The way you can tell is press ctrl alt F2
    and if your in a text mode that means its working and the drivers are wrong.If they are you will have to change it to VESA.This can be done by

sudo nano /ect/X11/xorg.conf

look at the lower part of the file and you should see something like "nv" with quotes change this to vesa and then hit ctrl x to exit nano and you may need tell it were to save just save over the old one.Then type in su and the type
    init 3
    it should say run time 3 then type
    init 5
    this should restart x and and fix it so you can see.